Mistakes

I showed Fwhip around the tower, laughing at his expression when I said magic.

"So, what... You're a witch? Wizard?" He asked. I shook my head.

"Mage. I'm still learning." I explained. We sat in front of the fireplace. I flicked my fingers, sending a little fireball into the fireplace. I laughed at his expression.

"Tell me everything." He said eagerly. So, I did. From my travels across the empires, to the fighting arenas to the farms, and then to, finally, the tower. 

After I was done, he whistled. 

"Damn, Gem... that's... I don't even know what to say. My life looks tame compared to that." He said.

"Speaking of which, how's home?" I asked him. His eyes lit up, and he launched into an explanation. 

The Grimlands had, apparently, under his rule finally ended our hundred-year war with the Cod Empire. Since then, our little nation had expanded rapidly from a small village to a world power. He had set up an alliance with Mythland somehow, making one of the strongest military alliances in the world.

"Your life is NOT tame. That's insane!" I laughed when he had finished. He shrugged, embarrassed. 

"Still... magic? Seriously? That's awesome." He exclaimed. We sat in silence for a few minutes, happy.

"Are you going to come home?" Fwhip blurted out. I sighed.

"I'd love to come visit, but... this is my home now. I'm responsible for this entire valley. But I'll come visit, I promise. I just have to figure out how my staff works." I said softly. He nodded, understanding.

"How have you treated it?" He asked innocently. I shrugged.

"Like a weapon? Tool? I don't really know." I said. He hummed.

"The greatest blacksmiths tell me they don't treat their hammers as a tool. They treat it as if it's as much a part of them as their arm or even soul." He explained. I frowned. That actully made sense. Then I sat straight up.

"Fwhip, you might be a genius!" I laughed, rushing up the stairs. He followed.

"I am?" He asked, then shook his head, "I mean of course I am. But what did I do?" He amended as I rushed into my office. I seized the staff from the wall and ran out onto the bridge.

I shut my eyes, focusing. I stood for a moment, letting the staff become a part of me.

"Gem! What are you doing?" Fwhip yelled after me. I shushed him.

Once I couldn't tell the difference between myself and the staff, I channeled as much power as I could into it. I opened my eyes, and gasped. The purple gem at the head of the staff was glowing. Wind rushed up under me, snapping my hair right into the air. I raised the staff above my head.

"Holy shit..." Fwhip muttered behind me.

With a loud cry, I brought the staff down. A beam of purple light shot off from the tip. I felt sheer power running through my veins.

The valley below came to life. The trees started looking heathier. The grass turned greener. Birds chirped, gliding overhead and returning to the valley. And in the middle of the valley, a massive tree sprouted from the ground, as wide and as tall as the Crystal Tower. The leaves were made of amethyst. The trunk had veins of gold running through its bark. Below us, the crystals in the cliffs shone brilliantly, erasing almost all shadow in the valley. A part collapsed, leading into a small cave.

After what felt like a lifetime, I released all the power. A purple shockwave emitted above us, leading in all directions. I gasped as the wind ceased, catching myself on the rail. But I didn't feel drained at all. In fact, I had more energy than I ever had before.