Xornoth's army

I didn't stay to revel in the death of the dragon. I quickly got another horse, rushing to Gilded Helianthia.

A few hours later, just as the sun was setting, I looked down over the valley in horror.

Gilded Helianthia was burning.

"Yah!" I screamed, voice cracking and rode down. 

I quickly found Pearl, covered in blood, and on her knees. She didn't face me and the ground around her was littered with the bodies of demons and humans alike. Her swords was coated in the blood of the demons. I joined her and gasped.

Her father was lying there, gut ripped open. he was barely breathing. Pearl cradled him, tears streaming down her soot and blood covered face.

"I'm so sorry dad." she cried. He reached up with a comforting hand and touched her cheek.

"You... have nothing to... be sorry... for..." he mumbled. Pearl put her own hand over his, shoulders heaving.

"I could have saved you..." she whispered. He chuckled, but it descended into racking coughs. After a moment he stopped and looked at her again. With a shaky hand, he removed her band of sunflowers and put his on her head. This one was made out of gold, no living flowers on it.

"You will lead our people... to a bright new future. I know it." he whispered. She closed her eyes, bowing her head. Her father smiled warmly, brushing a tear from her cheek. Then he slumped back down. Dead.

I kneeled by Pearls side, numb. Duke had treated me like one of his own. I put a comforting hand on Pearl's shoulder.

"I'm going to kill that monster." she hissed. I searched her face, expecting sadness. But all I saw was rage. She lifted her sword, looking at me.

"I'm going to find Xornoth. And I'm going to kill that son of a bitch!" she screamed the last part, standing. The remains of Gilded Helianthia looked at her with wide eyes, knowing she was now queen. She turned to the blacksmith and head guard.

"Make weapons for every able-bodied people, men and women. You, train them." she said. They both nodded and rushed off.

"I may be able to help with that." I said. She gave me a pained smile and nodded.

"Good. We're gonna need all the help we can get." she said as the sound of horses pounded up the road. Fwhip, Sausage, and Scott. Scott immediately began muttering something, spraying water from his hands to douse the fire. Sausage unclipped his robe and, grabbing a bucket of water, started helping Scott. Fwhip embraced me tightly.

"Can you bring me some amethyst? I need help with something." he said after he released me. He frowned as he watched Pearl bark orders, her brilliant golden wings spread wide.

"Damn. And to think I thought she was timid a few hours ago..." he said. I walked to her.

"Get everyone to pack everything up. I have somewhere that we can go." I told her. She nodded and started barking orders again. The messenger rushed up to her.

"Xornoth's army has been located. They're headed to some massive castle surrounded by the corruption." he said. Pearl nodded.

"Spread the word. We'll march on it alone if we have to." she said. The messenger nodded and ran off again.

"You won't be alone. All the other Empires will be right behind you." Sausage called. Pearl nodded respectfully before rushing off.

.  .  .

A few days later, we led the refugees of Gilded Helianthia into the Crystal Cliffs.