Gilded Helianthia

(Gem)

Location: Gilded Helianthia

After about a day of walking, the messenger and I arrived in Gilded Helianthia. I was immediately entranced by the beautiful village, with its sweeping green and gold fields of wheat, strong oak trees, beautiful architecture, and cheerful air. Animals were absolutely everywhere. I was particularly surprised to see the biggest grizzly bear I had ever seen with a group of giggling children cuddling it. And it seemed perfectly content, although the parents watched with a slight nervousness in their postures. 

A pair of guards stopped me, letting the messenger pass. The only reason I could tell they were guards was by their badges. They stood completely unarmed and relaxed, only curious.

"I'm looking for King Duke with regards of upmost importance." I said confidently. They shrugged.

"Duke is busy right now, but we can direct you to his daughter, Pearl. She should be able to help." they said, pointing. Great. I had to deal with some random princess instead of the king.

 I looked for the palace but couldn't find it somehow. I asked about it, earning a laugh. 

"That's funny, really." one said when he caught his breath. Then he realized I was being serious. 

"We don't have a palace. They live in that farmhouse there. If Pearl isn't there, she'll be at the tavern with that boyfriend of hers" the other said, mischief in his eyes and clearly joking about the last part.

Great. Now I had to deal with a DRUNK princess. I already felt a slight distain for how Gilded Helianthia was run. But yet...

Everyone here was so close. If you attacked one person here, you attacked all of Gilded Helianthia. Thinking like that, I felt slightly envious of this village.

I nodded my thanks before wandering off, Gandalf at my heels and meowing indignantly. He had been cleaning himself while I had been talking.

I quickly found the tavern and stepped inside. The following effect was absolute silence as the villagers stared at me. I shifted uncomfortably.

"Hail, traveler! Come, get a drink! My name is Keen. I run this place. Enjoy all that our small town has to offer!" The tavernkeeper yelled. The villagers turned away, resuming their conversations.

I sat at the bar next to a shockingly pretty young woman. She had flowing dirty-blonde hair, a green and gold dress, bronzed skin, stormy grey and silver eyes, and a halo of sunflowers in her hair. Soil was crammed under her flayed fingernails. An air of calm confidence was settled around her. But the strangest thing was the pair of golden hawk wings folded on her back. I instinctively felt my hooked, crooked nose (broken it a while back) and was suddenly aware of all my insecurities just by sitting here. The tavernkeeper slid me a tankard.

"Do you know where I can find the Princess?" I asked Keen. The woman frowned.

"That depends on who's asking." she replied simply. Keen shrugged, cleaning a glass.

"That is for me, her, and King Duke to know alone." I replied curtly. She sighed, extending her hand. She flexed her wings slightly.

"My name is Pearl," she said, "Let's take this outside."

.  .  .

I couldn't say I was surprised. Pearl seemed like the type. I wasn't, however, expecting how friendly she was, almost like she saw herself on the same level as the common folk.