Chapter 3

I am very sorry! I have been very busy this month because of sports and academics. Hope the longer chapter makes it up! :)

"Nessa!"

This was the word we heard the moment we entered the apartment. 

We used to live in a house before, but we moved to a smaller place since it was too much to take care of. I didn't mind. Living in a building with other people meant that there were more people around to ask for help if the need arose.

Anyway, when Ma and Anessa were done hugging the life out of each other, Anessa said: "I missed you, auntie. But I left the nickname a few years ago, remember?"

Ma laughed and pulled her to the kitchen."

No matter how old you, are, you will still be my little Nessy" she replied in good humor.

Anessa smiled back. She and Ma could say almost anything to each other and get away with it. 

"Lara," Ma turned to me, "Why don't you take Nessa to Café Sucre? I'm sure she would like all the French-ness there," she smiled at me. 

If I hadn't known her since I was born, I would not have caught the hesitancy in her manner.as I was about to ask her what was wrong, Anessa said something.

"Oh, no of course not. I would never choose some French café over your cooking, auntie."

"Uh, well. the problem is that I didn't wake up at the time I planned to, and there are no eggs and bread at home so... Lara, why don't you get some on your way back?" she said, while gently giving us a little push towards the door. 

Ohh. So this was the matter.

"And get some milk as well!" she yelled as she shut the door behind us.

Anessa and I looked at each other and laughed. We both knew Ma wasn't a morning person. And this way, I got to try out the new 'French café' that everyone was talking about.

"So what are your expectations for this Café Sucre?" I asked, with my best French accent on the last two words.

Anessa wasn't fooled though. She was excellent at French. she got interested in it while traveling in Morocco with her family. When she came back, she had to choose her subjects for grade 9. she chose French and continued studying it through college and university. A few years ago she went back to Morocco and talked in French there.

"Well, I think it is going to be a super sweet visit, just like the name suggests.

"Anessa liked loads of sugar and milk in her coffee which is why she didn't have it very often. I could handle sour coffee pretty well but didn't prefer to drink it. I would rather have cold milk. Whenever I told anyone this, they gaped at me and thought I was weird. Even my beloved cousin Anessa. But what could I do? Cold milk was just as refreshing as water and even had a flavor. Warm or hot milk was not my cup of tea though.

The café was only about 15 minutes away from our place and we reached it pretty quick even though we were walking slowly to enjoy the day.

The café was playing some French song which Anessa seemed to know because she was humming as we found a place to sit.

After we placed our orders, Anessa leaned back and eyed me.I smiled at her.

"How are you holding up after everything?

"The question sort of caught me off guard. I knew that she was talking about what had happened 10 years ago.

"I- I really don't know what to sa-" I began but she stopped me.

"It's ok. I am sorry for asking. I don't know what I expected. I guess I thought you would finally be able to share it with me," she was silent for a few moments.

"But you know what? It doesn't matter. Let's talk about something else today."

So we caught up on each other's lives and had a fun morning.