Chapter 8

When the 'day' finally came, Ma cried. Not like tears sliding down her cheeks. Real crying. Full-on sobbing.

"Ma, you were the one who wanted me to go on this trip," I told her.

Madison had politely scampered off to the entrance to give us some space.

"Oh, Lara! I'm not crying. Just a little sad that I won't get to drop you at the airport," she replied, wiping her eyes.

We were standing in her bedroom, saying our goodbyes.

When we are finally done with our hugging and farewells, I exit the house and walk towards the taxi Madison is already sitting in. How the driver is not already mad is beyond me.

Ma smiles at us from the door, probably not wanting to burst into tears again in front of other people.

****************************

The airport is loud and big. It was my first time there in years. After Dad passed away, we never flew. Only had short road trips that lasted a day at most. I was fine with it though. It gave me more of a chance to keep working at the bakery.

After we are seated in the plane at last - me in the aisle seat, and Madison in the middle, the window seat is occupied by some old lady who is deeply immersed in her book - I remove my handbag and put it near my feet. I also buckle in my belt so that I don't have to wake up from my sleep to do it. Madison is listening to something with headphones on, her eyes closed shut.

Neither Madison nor I felt disappointed with our seats. We were right next to the wing, so the window view would be awful. Also, we were old enough not to care where we were sitting. The nice old lady on the window seat didn't seem problematic, just sitting there reading her book, so we were satisfied for the upcoming journey. I also never understood the fervour behind window seats. It seemed odd to me that people wanted to look at the clouds for hours. I felt much more happy to just sleep during a flight. The white noise of the engines made me feel more relaxed. I liked to play white noise on my phone before sleeping sometimes, but it wasn't as good as sleeping in an airplane, when the noise was all around you, not just coming off a tiny device on the bedside table.

Furthermore, it was the greatest trouble ever to get out of the chair. I always worried about disturbing the person next to me if it were not my parents. I'd only had a couple of flights in my lifetime, but they were enough to make me despise window seats.

After the plane finally took off, I slowly settled into sleep, feeling the hum of the engines beneath my seat.