Chapter 5

I just stared at her in shock. After that, I told her that I thought it was the worst idea ever. She was visibly upset but didn't push. Just gave me her contact information on a piece of paper and left with a slice of cake.

I proceeded to have a normal day at work, but one full of me wondering.

Those 9 words. I kept thinking about them. The meaning behind them. What did she mean by taking a trip to Winnipeg? Another country.

Most importantly, the intent behind them.

Why did she want me to go with her? Did she search for me, or did she see me on accident? It was pretty hard to believe that since she couldn't have gotten the idea of the trip moments after seeing me.

I was also slightly embarrassed by what had happened. I didn't like the fact that I couldn't act 'normal' after seeing someone from the past. Even though I knew it was wrong to think so. It was my first time seeing her in 10 years. We had ceased all direct contact although we still followed each other on social media. I never checked her posts. The only reason I was on social media was to promote my bakery. It was immensely helpful when I started it a few months after the bakery opened. I was initially scared of who might find me and what would happen, but moved on. Or so I thought.

Anyway. All of this 'wondering' was of no use. I was going to go catch the bus home and forget about it.

And I did. For the rest of the day and night, the next day, I did forget. I ignored the thoughts surrounding it. Much like I did to anyone who annoyed me. I ignored it.

DeleteCreated with Sketch.

I managed to ignore it till the next evening when I came back from work. This time, I couldn't hide from it. Because my Ma was the one who bought it up.

"Madison called you know?" she said- or rather asked after we sat down for our dinner. Which was past by the way.

I was stunned.

"She told me that she offered to take you on a trip to Winnipeg," she continued.

"And I said no," I replied back to her without lifting my head from my pasta.

I was unexpectedly calm. As if I somehow expected this. Which I did not, by the way.

"You can use your savings," she suggested, still badgering me with that pointed stare.

"Those are for you and me to go somewhere," I reminded her.

"Yes, I know. But this trip is it,"

"What 'it'?" I frowned, looking up.

"Your chance to escape. To forget. Tell me. How many vacations have you had in the past ten years?"

She knew that I had gone nowhere near the boundaries of the city after we moved.

"Lara, this is your chance. Spend some time with Madison," she insisted in a strong voice.