Chapter 9

Thank you for reading! Sorry, I missed the last week. Hoping not to do it again. Enjoy!

We landed safely in Montreal. The air seemed different. Maybe because of all the French signs. There were English ones too. But just the presence of the French made it different. Nessa would have loved it. And just like that, a wave of homesickness washed over me. I hadn't thought of missing home, but now the thought of living so out of my comfort zone for so long terrified me.

Madison didn't seem even a bit fazed. Maybe she was used to travelling every other month or something. I wasn't.

The check-in and all the other things went smoothly enough. Almost everyone working there understood English. I was very thankful. Today would not be a good day to showcase my poor French skills.

There were 4 hours for our final flight which would take us to Winnipeg so we decided to rest in the waiting area for some time.

"Do you want to eat something?" Madison asked once we settled down with our luggage.

I was a bit hungry, but the price of everything terrified me.

"We won't get to eat anything on the plane," she insisted.

I figured that this was vacation and I rarely treated myself.

"Sure, I'll go and check the shops," I replied to her.

She nodded and put her headphones on her ears. She would probably play her favourite songs. She kept on babbling about them on the ride to the airport.

Meanwhile, I wandered off in the direction of the food court. They had all kinds of fast food chains and some restaurants I had never heard of. I wanted to try everything but also didn't want to upset my stomach with something unfamiliar.

I looked at the menus of all of the restaurants I knew and decided on a chicken burger. Even though I only had it on special occasions, I still loved the taste of fast food. Burgers, pizza, you name it. Don't get me wrong, I loved the homemade food me and Ma made, but since we always treated fast food like something only had once in a blue moon, it made the experience even better.

Anyway, there you go, me rambling on about how much I loved fast food.

I paid in cash, we had already exchanged our money earlier. The cashier looked at me funny and I ignored it.

When I returned to where we had established our temporary camp, Madison was still on her phone with headphones on. Did her battery last forever?

Mine had already gone down to 30 percent and I barely used it!

Madison smiled at me when I sat down next to her. I thought of asking her if she was going to eat when she spoke.

"That looks delicious. I'll go and get something for myself kay?"

"Sure. Go ahead," I bit into my burger and stopped myself from moaning. The crunch was too good.