𝐱𝐯𝐢. heart to heart

DISAPPEARING was scary for most people, for some, their worst nightmare. But, others would love to disappear. Most wouldn't mind just a little while, like a vacation. You leave and most always end up coming back.

The moment you disappear it's like an off switch. Once your remember, once your forgotten. And when you flip the switch your gone.

June Quinn wished she had an off switch every day of her life.

As she sat in her empty room, tears in her eyes she wondered what was going to happen next. Her best friend was turning against her. And she didn't know why. After all the times she consoled John B, comforted him, laughed with him— loved him; she was being shut out over something that could've been resolved by the truth.

She wanted to be away from everyone and everything. The house was only filled with the purrs of her kitten and the muffled tv, playing the show New Girl, June's favorite RomCom.

But, when she got a phone call from Pope explaining what had happened to the Maybank Boy, her heart almost stopped beating.

June was very loyal. She couldn't escape her forgiving ways as she always ran back to the people she knew best. Even John B. It wasn't the first the had fallen out but never this bad. And now she feared that it was gonna hurt the further they stayed away from each other.

When JJ was little, June's mom would always clean his wounds. Whether it was a fight with another pogue or kook, or with his dad; her mother was always there to help him.

JJ sometimes caught himself calling her mom. But, he would never forget the words she whispered to him whilst in her arms, "JJ, dear. I may not be your mother but I do care for you. So, does my daughter. Your welcome here whenever." He felt loved, appreciated.

And when she died, apart of the pogues died to. Along with John B's dad.

So, there June was, holding a alcohol wipe and some liquid medicine in her purse as she sprinted  across the lawn. "Hey, Ju," Pope smiled as she waved, handing the stuff too JJ, "Thanks."

"I got my scholarship interview tomorrow morning. We gotta get this done." Pope whined as he cleaned, "I'll help. JJ, rub this on all your wounds." June handed it to him, pointing at his stomach.

"Gotcha."

"Speak of the devil, hey." June knew who was walking up as she ignored them, walking over to help Kiara. "Dude, I set of the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything."

"No, he did not I did that!"

"Hey, John B," Kiara said in confusion as she walked towards him. "What's that all about?" June shrugged, not knowing what to say as they looked around awkwardly, "I was gonna ask you the same question." JJ stated, taking his feet out the hot tub.

The four pogues watched as John B scrambled around the small home, "You all right, man? What's up?"

"What are you looking for?" Kiara asked, June pulling her back towards her by her waist, "Dude?" June finally spoke, his eyes not even turning to look at her.

June's eyes widened as he picked up the gun, "What do you need the gun for?" She didn't know what to do as he threw JJ, confusion laced in her bones as they ran after him, "Dude, what the fuck!"

"Ward knows about the gold. He killed my dad," June furrowed her eyes when they he stared at her, "And Ms. Quinn."

Everything around June went silent. Her heart was pounding as she grew sweaty.

Her mother? Why her? After all this time, she finally figured out. And she wished she didn't. Did Sarah know about this? No. She couldn't have.

Thoughts traced her body as Kiara sat a hand on her shoulder, jumping at the girl pushing her hand off lightly, "I have to go. I need to go." Kiara shook her head, going after her quickly, "No, June!"