Chapter 3

Janilla

Janilla

I am sure you desire in the deepest pits of your heart the knowledge that transpired on that fateful night. I do not know why. Just stay strong my daughter for many more nights will beg to climb your stalwart stance.

~ Curburgh, King of Ascus, Fifty sixty-two.

Janilla's days were as boring as many others were and today was no different. The pages of the book flipped wildly off their origin and flew back to their source unable to escape the frigid winds cutting through this makeshift room.

She exhaled onto the curved ridge of her neck. Her eyes wavered over the passing colors mixing into a mass of caustic energy breaking at the strands that swirl into the long white blast of light firing in front of me. Four thin pillars constructed of musothin sat at either end of the gate underneath this torrent of power.

Out of those waves of energy Five and Valor crushed through and stopped on the ink-marked metal platform that surrounded the gate that was created for their transverse.

Six minutes, there was so much time from the one hour and twenty minutes she waited on them for. Whereas their method of travel, It was one of many ways to travel, but it was possible, because of their Exalted Lady Carmine. 

Valor shook his head and subsequently narrowed his eyes at me. He pointed at her. "What are you doing here?"

She smiled with fraudulent flair. "Lady Carmine sent me down here to carry news to the seal squad on guard of this spectral gate. Since I was here and your time to arrive was a few hours I decided to wait on you."

His eyebrows raised as he stared at me. "I'm glad, you waited on us, thank you, I guess. At least I get to see a familiar face as soon as I come out."

She wasn't here for Valor, so his 'thank you' was dirt to her. Five stepped down in the all-consuming black robe that spun around him like a mother's embrace.

Janilla resisted the urge to shudder with the excitement that threatened to ripple through her.

Five never had a smile on that young face of his. His constitution was as cold as the stone of the brittle North, but when those eyes touched hers, she melted.

That was why she got Carmine to make her a Sector Bloom. Janilla dealt with Five’s cold disposition for a living. The last thing she needed was for Five to know her true feelings for him. So many times she choked her emotions and thoughts to prevent Five from seeing into the depths of her mind. 

She was mean to Five and cruel in her thoughts to avoid him seeing her real feelings.

But he must have known right?

Five loved her. Even though he never said it. Or was she crazy? No, it had to be that. That must be it, right? Or was it something else? Could it be somebody behind her? Janilla turned around. No, it wasn't.