Chapter 6

Janilla

Janilla

I wrote this not as a declaration of my life, but more of my failings.

To learn, one must see your mistakes as much as you see how you played into them. This isn't about me. It's about all the friends I fought beside. The friends I loved. The friends that passed away.

~ From the acknowledgement of Kin and Kind.

"My head hurts. I feel like I'm surrounded by children."

The scratching grind made it hard for Janilla to focus.

Janilla stood there in the gazebo with Carmine sitting across from her unsure of how she would respond to such claims from Carmine. Was Janilla a part of those children Carmine despised so rightly? 

No.

Her?

Nonsense. 

Janilla was her forthright ally and official scribe. 

"Well, that's what the assistant said so…"

Carmine stopped clawing her blade at the oversized wooden door in her hand. It looked like she was trying to carve it into a triangle.

At least that grind stopped.

Carmine put down the door, blinked at Janilla, and leaned forward with clasped hands. "Tell Ulyessia to get my new royal guard up and running or I will be down there. She said Doblo would wake up a day ago. I needed him forever ago."

"Yes, my Exalted Lady."

Her eyes drifted. "You heard anything from Ziji?"

"No, I have received no communications."

Carmine's hands tap her thighs in irritation. "Of course, you didn't. I want to go to Moreno and I can't because his gate ain't up. Whatever I'll walk, plans changed, for I have someone to visit on the way anyway. Damnation to that man. Where is he docking again?"

"The empaths are tracking him going to Vale, my Lady."

"I'm surpise visiting his carcass, but if he tries to pull a fast one tell one of the spies there to make sure he stays in port. If he thinks of avoiding me, I'll make him regret it." Carmine leaned back and gestured absently at Janilla. "Now, let's talk about you."

Janilla's face snapped out of its usual nodding motion to get mentioned as the next target of her complaints.

Carmine continued, "You wrote what I gave you?"

Janilla relaxed and was glad it was about that. Carmine asked her to write Carmine's biography and Janilla was excited by the prospect. The story of a future legend and Janilla was going to be its author.

"Yes, I have my Exalted Lady."

"Fantastic, that's good. Do you know anything about Ada? I'm not talking about the book you read. The actual person?"