Chapter 5

Carmine

Carmine

We stepped out of the fracturing sheet of energy that made my arms shiver. It was weird for me. My body didn't shake instead it was parts of me.

My fingers fidgeted, my legs tensed while I walked and my eyelids fluctuated at the deepened pain. So much was a blur right now, but being in Baska and seeing so many broken stones on the dirt paths in between the damaged houses nauseated me.

I needed to distract my mind from the devastation. "Explain yourself Narburgh, since you're going to be here for a while."

Narburgh groaned.

That was not the answer I was looking for.

"Oh! My grace! Ah! It hurts!"

Narburgh and I turned to D'Neil crouched against the broken wall.

I gestured at D'Neil. "Roll your shoulders and hips. Shake them. Come on. Get up. That's right, just shake your limbs."

"Aaaggrh!" His head rested between his legs in obvious angst.

I held back the laughter on the edge of my smile. "Yes, keep doing it. It's better you take this pain now rather than not doing it and getting hit with worse pain later. Once you go through it a couple more times you'll get used to it."

Narburgh said, "It was the same for me."

I caught Narburgh smiling.

D'Neil bashed his fist against his thighs as he leaned over. "Holy Ashuor's fire. I do not think I will get used to that my Lady. Black mercy, that hurts. You're tougher than me."

I said, "Don't say that, I can't hold a candle to a true warrior like you."

D'Neil groaned as he widened his jawline to displace the pain.

I asked, "Ready?"

D'Neil glanced up and his eyes fluttered on the verge of tears. "Walk, I'll catch up."

I nodded at him and hoped he kept up.

My shoes kicked aside debris and spoiled fruit. Which part of my face had it harder, my nose or my eyes? At least every other pain faded away thanks to the years of destruction that plagued Baska's borders.

I asked, "Narburgh, I gave you an order. Start talking."

Ordering him around might not work. Valor's voice cooled my hot rage.

Who was in my brain right now? Hold on. Let me kick out some people. Sorry Janilla. Yes, continue.

She could have stayed there.

I'm still getting the hang of this, so shut up and let me work this empathy.

Valor chuckled in my head. Be careful, Five is still listening.