Chapter 4

Carmine

Carmine

I curled my toes and his fingers tapped the top of my retracted feet.

"You know—"

"You talk too much," I said.

"You're the one who invited me in."

I rolled my eyes and lifted my machete to his smiling face. Valor sat across from me with my leg on his thigh, my foot inside his grasp and his axe aimed under my neck.

The gazebo was getting too hot, but I couldn't open the flaps.

For reasons.

I said, "Yes, I wanted to tell you that I have been in contact with a member of your old family. The Casnick."

He groaned and pushed me back.

I frowned. "Yes?"

Valor's head went up back and he plastered on a smile again. "No."

"I didn't ask you anything."

"I know. No. I know what you going to ask me." Valor raised his ax, while his other arm was in a guard position. 

His reluctance to talk about his past and talk about his time with Casnick was confusing to me. Casnick was once a powerful coven. They were on an Exalted level and many talked of it with reverence, yet Valor wanted no part of it and his glory.

Valor.

This arrogant beast of a man.

Something must have happened to make him so hard-headed.

I held my shield in front of me and my machete near my hip. "I'm asking you. What about your children?"

Valor tilted his head and looked up. "I don't think about that."

His eyes drifted, so I spun my machete arm.

It hits his guard wrist as he backed away.

I said, "Wait, hold on, let me get this straight, you don't think about them at all?"

"No. I mean. It's not like they miss me. They probably ain't even looking for me." His eyes flicked up at me then down at the ground. "I just do my task." He smiled and rushed at my left. "Whatever task you give me!"

Valor was trying to sweeten my juice, but I was going to swirl that. I blocked and spun my leg away from his low sweep. "You didn't answer my question."

Valor disappeared from my sight. 

Too low.

I threw my shield down, but it barely hits his back before his hands grab my left leg and lifted me. My back hits the pillows and his shadow covered me. 

His moist lips dipped close to mine. "What's the answer you like?" 

How low those hands on my leg could move?