nine: my girl

CW: Bathroom sex, dirty talk, we're finally starting to build that tension

CW: Bathroom sex, dirty talk, we're finally starting to build that tension. Part of the next chapter will most likely be from Steve's POV.

Please remember to vote and comment! Engagement on Wattpad has been at a huge low for the last couple of months. Comments and votes keep authors motivated to write <3

BUCHAREST, ROMANIA

They're on the rooftop. The sun is rising. Bucky barely slept after their conversation in the bathroom, and when he woke up, Steve was already up, thumbing through a book. He had circles under his eyes, and he looked like he needed a friend.

So, they have sniper rifles aimed at the street while the undead roam around, hunting for food, and Reilly sleeps soundly in the apartment below behind a locked door.

"When did it start?" Steve asks. "You and her."

"Not long after I found her."

"How long were you hunting her?"

Bucky scoffs, aiming his rifle and taking a shot, watching one of the creature's head explode like a balloon. Blood and brains paint the ground around them and they wilt like a flower before collapsing. Some of the others take notice of their fallen comrade. That's new. Bucky slowly aims the rifle at them and waits until they're lined up, one behind the other. He takes one shot, and one bullet rips through two skulls. Both of them fall to the ground.

"I wasn't hunting her," he whispers.

"Bullshit," Steve replies.

"Why do you care?"

Steve shakes his head.

"I don't."

"You clearly do or you wouldn't fuckin' be here."

Steve sighs as Bucky looks through the scope. The monotony of shooting takes his mind off of the fact that Steve's eyes are fixed on him, and he hears jealousy in his friend's voice. Bucky still remembers the two of them— secret kisses when no one was looking, the terror they both felt. The way they were made to feel so much fucking shame.

"I'm with you 'till the end of the line," Steve grunts as he adjusts his position on his stomach. "Or did you forget?"

"I remember a lot more than you think I do," Bucky breathes.

There's a long pause and the two of them take out a few more infected.

"Do you love her?" Steve asks.

Bucky takes another shot, hitting one of the infected through the eye. Steve winces beside him.

"Not used to it, huh?" Bucky asks with a smirk.

"Not quite yet," Steve whispers. "Are you?"

"I don't know," Bucky says honestly.

He doesn't really see the shambling forms below as people, not anymore. Now, they're a threat, and that threat has to be neutralized. He has to protect the person he was trying to protect in the first place. As Steve adjusts his gun, his arm gently knocks against Bucky's. Bucky bites down on his bottom lip.