twenty-one: nearer, my god, to thee

I said two chapters, but I was so pleased with the way this unfolded that this is the end

I said two chapters, but I was so pleased with the way this unfolded that this is the end. A short epilogue will be posted later, but as of now, this story is complete.

Thank you for coming along on this journey, and my first foray into writing a zombie book.

Bucky hasn't said a word in 12 hours.

They're settling down for the night in a small, remote campsite that Bucky found at the edge of the city near a small meadow. The only thing on it was a barn that they searched before they decided they were going to settle in here. A few wild horses are roaming around, eating and playing in the distance.

It's peaceful here.

They haven't seen a zombie for hours, but it doesn't mean one won't come walking through here.

They managed to find a small sporting goods store along the way that had only been slightly looted. Steve and Bucky grabbed a shovel, and some sleeping bags for the night. She didn't think they could shove more into their duffel bags, but they somehow always manage to prove her wrong.

She's less than thrilled with the idea of sleeping outside and being exposed to those fucking things.

Reilly doesn't even see them as human anymore.

There are no more safe houses until mid-day tomorrow when they reach the next city.

If those safe houses are still standing.

But right now, the sun's going down.

Fast.

The cities have become so desolate that Reilly doesn't think humanity has a hope in hell of fighting these things off, let alone rebuilding. All they can hope to do now is find small pockets of humanity and love where they can.

They're consumed by awkward silence and the occasional soft request from Steve for Bucky or her to hand him something. She and Steve keep exchanging looks, wondering if Bucky is really back. He walks different as he skulks around looking for something to shoot, still straight, but his stride is more casual, and the iciness in his expression has been replaced. There have been tears in his eyes for the past twelve hours.

Steve's tried to talk to him.

Reilly's tried.

All Bucky has been able to give are soft grunts and nods that he understands.

It's fucking heartbreaking.

Regardless of his exhaustion and sadness, they work quickly. Bucky seems to understand the urgency, which means that she's pretty certain their Bucky is back.

And then more time passes - Reilly can't tell if it's half an hour or longer, but the sun is beginning to dip below the horizon and she's starting to get more and more anxious. They have maybe an hour of light left.