Chapter 2

The next day was clearer than yesterday. It wasn't raining, though the could were dense and opaque. I was having a feeling that today was going to be a good day. And I was right.

Today, my sister dropped me to school after she saw me waiting for Bella outside. Which I was grateful for. Even though, Aelia was tired after her night shift. The first half of school hour were uneventful, fortunately.

It was at lunch when I arrived earlier than Bella and her friends. Edward hadn't come today, and will probably won't till the next week. I chose a seat near a group of four, they all looked like they might be siblings. Though, they whispered to each other while peeking at my direction from time to time, and I caught them every single time, they didn't disturb me though. They let me have my peace.

However, it didn't lasted long when I saw Bella's group steering in my direction. Apparently, the nosy group I say next to, turned out to be Mike Newton's siblings.

There goes my good day.

"Good morning, Nyra."

"Morning, Jessica."

"Oh." She looked genuine pleased by the fact that I know her name. A smile tugged at the corner of her lips, making me confused.

I reluctantly removed my bag from a seat beside me, so Bella could sit. I noticed her peering at the Cullens table, and slumped when she couldn't find Edward. And she gradually grew more and more tense as time went by, but he never came.

I only glanced at her from time to time, checking on her while her friends force me to talk about myself. Looks like I'll be at the center of their attention for quite sometime.

"Will you join us to our trip to beach?" Mike asked, the tip of his ears red. From the corner of my eyes, I could see the disapproving look on Jessica's face. Why?

Weren't you trying hard to get close to me, just now? I thought to myself.

The redness on Mike's face deepened when I smiled, and I understood immediately. He seem to develop a crush on me, instead of Bella.

"Why not? I would love to. It's been quite a while I went to surfing. Thank you for the invitation."

"You know how to surf?!" The curiosity on Jessica's face was back. Hostility hidden deep inside her.

"Yeah. Though, I'm not so good at it." I answered. My nose suddenly felt itchy, and I took a deep breath to not start crying in front of the kids.

In my previous life, I used to go surfing every weekend with my friends.

After that, nothing serious happened that I had to worry about. Jasper eyes were golden when I entered history class. We did made eye contact for a brief moment before I looked away, though the whole time I could feel his burning gaze on me. Which did, raised my heart beat. But I trusted in Alice's ability to stop him before he could do any harm to me.

"Nyra!"

Bella was waiting for me at her truck after school. Some of the heads turned in my direction, shock visible on their faces while I ignore them and walked towards Bella, unwillingly.

I intentionally left the school building late, so I don't have to sit in that ugly truck. But the luck seemed to have left my side. I wanted to tell her to go without me, but the strange eagerness on her face made me sealed my mouth shut.

I jumped in my seat, almost hitting my head in the roof, startled by the deafening roar of my neighbour's truck.

The Cullens lifted their heads to stare at us when we passed by them. My eyes met with Alice's, and I quickly looked away while my face turned as red as my hair.