Chapter 10

The game began right after the second clap of thunder. I watched with the half of my mind somewhere else. Eyes wandering around the trees from time to time.

Fear resides in my heart, along the sadness of loosing something I don't remember. Then again, I will never actually know what it feels to lose my parents as much as my sister does. She remembers them, and I don't.

When I turned two, my parents died. Leaving my ten years old sister to take my responsibility. We lived at our aunt's house till she became an adult, and found a nice paying job.

I shook the memory away, and I focused back on the game just to witness Carlisle and Jasper bumping with each other. The sound of their collision resembled two massive boulders hitting together. I flinched while Bella jumped on her feet in concern.

"Safe." Esme said calmly, making me wonder what exactly happened. However, I got distracted again, this time looking everywhere but at the game. The game appeared boring to me whatsoever, either it was played by human or vampire.

It was when Edward jogged up to Bella, that I had to force a smile on my face, so it looks like I was enjoying the game. Then it left along with Edward. Esme and Bella stood together, a foot ahead of me, so I didn't need to keep on the fake smile all the time.

I let out a quiet sigh, wondering how a single word ruined my whole mood. And then I had to think about my past, just proves that I'm the only one to blame. I ran a hand through my hair, when I heard Alice gasped, and I froze.

They're here.

Edward's head snapped in her direction, as they met eyes before he rushes to Bella's side, while others surrounded Alice. My heart skipped a beat at his sudden appearance, however it soon calm down while Alice explained about the nomads heading in our direction.

I watch with heavy heart as Jasper leaned over Alice, in a protective way, "What changed?"

"They heard us playing, and it changed their path." Alice responded guiltily, as if it was her fault.

Seven pairs of eyes flashed over Bella, then they looked away. I felt a sharp pain on my thumb, I realised that I was chewing on the nail till the skin broke slightly from underneath it.

"Shit."

Good thing that I don't smell as strongly as Bella, or I'll be the one to get devoured on first.

I need distraction. Should I say something?

"What's happening?" I asked as I licked on the oozing blood.

Edward was in the middle of the conversation who he turns to look at me, suddenly aware of my presence.

He inhaled through his nose, deeply, as his eyes zeroed on my thumb. A chill ran through my spine and I unconsciously put my hands inside my pocket. Something flashes in his hard eyes, but before I could understand what it was, it vanished as soon as it came.

His tensed shoulders relaxed a little, "Few days ago, a coven of three vampires were curious about us-"

"Now they coming here." My voice came out way to calm for my liking, and I flinched just slightly. My unusual coolness doesn't felt right in this situation. Edward realised it too as he stared at me for a long time, before slowly nodding his head.

I looked away after that, letting out a shaky sigh. Something seems to be seriously wrong with me.

"Do you know their diet?"

My eyes went back to look at him.

"I guess.... Humans." I hesitated on purpose. With another nod, he looked away, and I resisted the urge to relax.