Never Close enough

This story is inspired to kristel fulgars new song HAHAHA hope you guys enjoy

"Welcome to Jyp Caffè!" You look up at the girl who greets you and smile back at her. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked bread fills the air as you step further inside the beautiful coffee shop.

This café holds countless memories for you. It used to be your favorite go-to place, but now it's just a spot you've been avoiding. However, being here still suffocates you... No, it's not the place itself, but rather the memories you made here that suffocate you.

You hold onto your satchel tightly as you walk closer to a specific table in the corner, near the window and away from the other tables. As you sit down, you run your hands along the edges of the sturdy wooden table, lost in thought. You let out a sigh, unsure of how many times you've done so already, and your eyes fixate on a small doodle on the table. All you can do is smile sadly.

"Ms. Shin, it's been a while," you glance up and see a very familiar face. "Yuna-ssi," you say, smiling at her. Yuna places a mug of hot chocolate in front of you. "I didn't order--" "I know. It's on the house," she interrupts. "You look much thinner than last time." You tuck your hair behind your ear and simply smile in response.

It's true, so what can you say? You haven't been eating well since that thing happened between the two of you.

"Thank you, Yuna," you say gratefully. Yuna sighs. "You're always welcome, Ms. Shin. Call me if you need anything." She bows her head and is about to leave when she suddenly freezes in her spot.

"Ohh..."

You look up at her and follow her gaze. Your heart aches a little as you see her standing at the entrance of the coffee shop, scanning the area until her eyes land on you.

Your eyes never leave her as she slowly walks towards you. It's been a while since you last saw her. Her hair is black now, and it seems like she has gained some weight.

"Ohh, it's nice to see you again, Ms. Son," she says, smiling at Yuna and revealing her beautiful smile. That smile used to make your heart skip a beat, the smile that you loved so much, and those deep dimples that you couldn't resist poking whenever you had the chance.

You want to stand up and throw yourself into her arms. You want to kiss her in front of everyone. But you can't, and you won't.

"Hi," she greets you as soon as Yuna leaves and takes a seat in front of you. "How are you? Are you okay? Are you cold? Your clothes don't seem warm enough," she says, full of concern, which you hate so much.

"I'm fine, Chaeyoung," you say, cutting her off. "And you? How are you?" you ask, trying to hold back your tears.

"I'm fine, Y/N," she replies. "Well, I can see that," you say sarcastically, nodding your head. "I can see that very well."

All she can do is glance down and sigh. You look out the window, watching people pass by the café.

A moments of silence passed before she breaks the heart-wrenching silence.

"Do you want to order something first?" she asks. You glance at her and shake your head. "No, we're not here to eat... we're here to talk," you say, and she nods, smiling a little.

"I... I'm so sorry, Y/N. I can't say anything but I--" you raise your palm, facing her, and shake your head. "Shhh, it's okay. You don't have to apologize for choosing the things you truly love," you smile at her. "I'm happy for you, Chaeyoung... I really am."

You see her eyes soften as she tries to reach for your hands, but before she can hold them, you quickly pull them away.

"Y/n..."

You shook your head and said, "Shhhh, you have said enough. Now let me talk, please." The tears that you had been holding since you stepped into the café suddenly burst out of your eyes. "You know how much I love you, Chaeyoung. I still want you back." You looked down at your hands, playing with your fingers. "But I realized that the stars won't align just because we wished for it. It kills me every day knowing that I couldn't bring back those wonderful days when you couldn't even start your day without greeting me. Those days when we were so inseparable. Who could have thought that we would go this far, up to this day?"

You cried your heart out as you slowly took off that ring, the ring that used to be your last hope. But things have changed now, and you know you can't hope for anything anymore.

"Y/n..." she kept saying, as if it's the only thing she can say.

"You told me that you would leave, but you would always come back. You promised me that you would marry me. You promised me a lot of things. But I guess everything was not meant to happen. The last time you left me, you never meant to come back." You glanced up and met her gaze. "I wanted to hate you... But I can't, because deep down, I still want to understand you."

"Y/n... I'm so sorry... You know how much I love you." You laughed while crying, feeling a mix of emotions. You may look crazy, but who cares? Yes, she loves you, and you love her so much too, so much that you would lose everything you have just for her.

You nodded your head. "Yes, you love me. But that love was never close enough for you to stay and choose me... To choose us over your world... And over your dream." You cried even more, your tears falling uncontrollably.

"You are my dream, Chaeyoung. All I wanted was for you to hold me close, close enough for you to be with me forever. I wanted a future with you... I wanted a life with you. But you started a future alone without me. You had your own plans, and I wasn't part of that plan or that future either." You placed the ring down on the table.

"Please save your sorry. It won't fix anything. It won't mend my broken heart. Your sorry won't choose me, right?"

"12 years, 4 months, and 14 days. We have been together for that long. You even proposed to me... I thought this was it. I thought somebody had finally chosen me. But I was wrong... Because those 12 years were never close enough for you to stay and choose me over anything, over your career, over that damn job of yours." You slowly pushed the ring towards her. "Thank you for everything, for making me realize that if there's only one person who wouldn't leave me, it's me, myself, and I... Don't worry about me anymore. I'll try to be okay. I'll live my life without you... So please don't call me again... And I'm giving you that because I don't want it anymore... I don't want to see anything that would remind me of you... I don't want to see you anymore."

She glanced down at the ring and shook her head. You could see her tears streaming down her face.

"No, this is yours... I gave it to you," she said, wheezing a little bit. "Y/n, please keep it."

"Chaeyoung, it's not meant to be mine." You smiled and grabbed your bag. "You can do whatever you want with it. Throw it, burn it, sell it, or give it to someone... But please don't give it to the next person you'll ever love." You sighed and wiped your tears.

"Can I have one last request?" she looked up at you with her eyes full of tears. You couldn't help but admire her even more. She could still manage to look adorable even though she's crying.

"Sure... Of course."

"Can you hug me one last time?"

She nodded her head. The moment she stood up, you threw yourself at her.
You sniffed her perfume while crying on her shoulder, crying like a child.
You sobbed like there was no end, not caring about the people around the two of you.

You didn't want to be pulled away, but you knew you had to. Otherwise, you would be on your knees, begging for her to stay and choose you, again and again.

"I love you so much... Please be happy." You cupped her cheeks and kissed her lips,
one last kiss. "Goodbye, Chaeyoung," you said and left her. You didn't even wait for her to say anything,
but you held tight onto your satchel as you walked faster, passing by the crowds who were following you with their eyes.

Just like in every movie, everything has an end, and this is the end of your and Chaeyoung's story, but also the beginning of something new.

*******

This is all I could write for now so please bare with me...

Have a blessed day chingudul.