Chapter two: A Reunion

"Good morning," Peeta cautiously greets me as I sit down at the table.

"Good morning," I reply, sliding a pancake onto my plate. "Sorry about... you know."

"Katniss, there's nothing to be sorry about on your part, okay?"

"Mommy, look! I helped make the pancakes!" Rue exclaims, waving one in the air.

I laugh and ruffle her hair, "They look great, Rue!"

"I'll go check if Finnick's awake," Peeta says.

I get a chill when he says that, even though I know Peeta's just going to check on our son, not going to check if Finnick Odair has risen from the dead. Finnick, my younger son by two years, is still probably sound asleep. I knew it was a bold choice to name my children after dead tributes, but I decided that it was one of the best ways of paying my respects to them.

KNOCK KNOCK

"Hold on, Rue, I'll go get the door," I say, jumping up. "Who is it?" I call out.

"A friend," a deep, rough voice replies. I freeze on the spot, my breath catching in my throat. I stumble towards the door and fumble with the lock before jerking it open. Standing on my doorstep is a man with dark brown hair that flops lazily over his gray eyes. His body is muscular and tanned, and he smiles at me with perfect teeth. It is the face I have seen constantly in my dreams and nightmares; the face I once knew so well, maybe even loved, for a while. In his hand is a bouquet of daisies.

"Surprise," he mutters.

I stare at him uncomprehendingly as a million questions run through my head.

Finally, I manage to get a word out. "Gale?"

"Um, yeah, who else?" he grins, causing a sharp pain in my chest. "Now are you going to let me in, Catnip?" he asks impatiently.

"Gale!" I cry, leaping over the threshold and into his arms. I laugh and cry at the same time, hugging him tightly against me. I don't know how long we stand there, trying to make that one hug stretch out over all those lost years behind us.

In that moment, I am reminded of home. I am reminded of hunting in the woods early in the morning, of the thrill I used to get every time I snuck beyond the fence. I am reminded of laughter, of family. I am reminded of my best friend.

"Catnip," he whispers. And in that moment, I know that he, too, is reminded. I know that he remembers.

"Gale?" Peeta says from behind me.

Something about the tone in Peeta's voice snaps me back to reality, and I hastily step away from Gale, my cheeks warm. The pieces of my past start to slowly fall away again as I move to stand next to Peeta, my eyes trained on the floor.

"Peeta?" Gale asks, raising his eyebrows as he looks between Peeta and me.

"I... I should've told you," I start. But I stop myself. Peeta places his arm around me. I haven't seen Gale in over twenty years; he's the one who has some explaining to do.

"Mommy, what's going on?" Rue asks, poking her head out from behind me.

Peeta's arm around me stiffens, and my breath catches in my throat as we both keep our eyes locked on Gale.

"Mommy," he whispers, a dazed look on his face. He takes a deep breath and looks up at us. I brace myself for his anger, or sadness, ready to take whatever was coming.

"Congratulations, guys. I'm really... happy for you," Gale says effortlessly.

I breathe out, relieved. "Thanks Gale," I say, hugging him again. This time I don't feel ashamed. I used to feel the weight of all those years we spent apart, as if it was something that physically pushed us further away from each other. Somehow, that weight has lifted. Not completely, but enough to make a difference.

We can start over, I tell myself. I add those years to my long list of things to forget.

"Come in," Peeta says as he swings open the door.