Chapter fourteen: Not Just A Dream

"Katniss!"

I turn as I hear Prim's voice calling me. There's an unmistakable tone of desperation and hurt in her voice.

"Prim!" I scream, trying to find her. All I see around me is black. "Prim!"

I'm running now, or at least that's what I think. "Prim, where are you?"

"I'm right here, Katniss! I'm right here!" This time she's sobbing. And so am I.

"Prim! Honey, where are you? Come here, come to me Prim!"

"Ah!" Her piercing scream lights up my surroundings, and a brilliant fire is suddenly in front of me. Her figure flails about, burning brightly.

I try to claw my way to her, but something - or someone - is holding me back. "Let me go!" My pleas are no use.

"Prim! I'm here! It's going to be fine! Please, stop hurting her!" I yell. "Why won't you let me help her?" I scream. "Let go of me, I need to help Prim!"

"No." The response is strong and firm.

"You don't own me! Let go of me you... you monster!" I struggle.

"Katniss, I'm sorry," the voice says, as I helplessly watch my baby sister disintegrate into ashes.

"Why didn't you let me help?" I ask, whispering now.

"Because, Katniss, you're the Mockingjay."

"Katniss, please! Katniss listen to me!" Peeta's voice pulls me out of unconsciousness, and I realize I'm wildly flailing myself around the bed. His strong arms restrain me and then he loosens his grip as I relax.

I sob uncontrollably, and he pulls me in and rocks me back and forth. "She was right there! Right there and I couldn't help her," I whisper.

"Shh, Katniss, shh. It was just a dream."

I cling to him tighter as tears stream down my cheeks. "No it wasn't."