Chapter 23 - Confessing

Chapter 24: Confessing

"Salazar, Pruitt...in my office please."

I cast a worried and confused glance at Ky who reflected the same expression. Bill had called us out of practice, so it had to be important.

Gulping, I followed Ky silently as we both followed Bill through the halls to his office.

When we arrived, Ky and I took a seat in the two couches sitting right across from Bill's desk. He hovered over it while shuffling around a few papers before taking a seat himself and clearing his throat.

"So," he started, placing his clasped hands onto the desk, "I've been hearing some...rumors..."

My heart sped up a little bit, and I could see Ky's body stiffen.

"What kind of rumors, sir?" Ky asked

Bill looked a little sorry, but mostly stern and expressionless.

"I've heard that the two of you have been involved with each other for quite some time now."

My face fell but I kept my eyes glued on the desk. Ky cast his gaze downwards as he sighed.

"Sir, I can explain." I said.

He looked at me with raised eyebrows. "Then explain."

Swallowing, I looked at Ky worriedly once before continuing.

"At the beginning of the season, Ky and I both agreed that we would be secretive about our involvement with each other during our careers. I didn't plan on it lasting this long," I admitted carefully, "and it has. But I assure you, sir, that Ky and I don't mean to bring any bad publicity to the team or your corporation."

Bill glanced back and forth between Ky and I, trying to figure it all out. "Are you two...dating?"

"No." I answered a little too quickly. Glancing over at Ky, his brows were scrunched together but he soon looked away as I did.

"So what, this is just casual? No strings attached?" Bill asked.

Ky nodded. "Yes sir."

He leaned back into his big chair and sighed heavily, running a hand over his face. "You know I can't allow this, right?"

We both nodded solemnly, hiding our faces.

"And of the press find out, there'll be hell to pay."

Once again, we nodded.

"So the right thing to do would for me to suspend you both for the next practices and two games."

I gaped. "But sir you ca-"

"I can't what? Kate, you broke the rules. Both of you did! Sleeping with one another can affect your play first of all, and secondly, it's downright outrageous that you two would think of doing something like that! Imagine the press finding out! We don't need that attention, especially you, Kate."

I felt like I was in elementary school and was being scolded by the principal. I nodded slowly.

Bill continued. "I'll send your body guards over to your houses to watch you tomorrow morning." He looked at both of us and shook his head. "You're dismissed."

I shot up and ducked my head while making my way out. The door clicked shut behind me and I hurriedly rushed to the locker rooms.

Locking myself into mine, I slumped down onto the floor and sighed. "Fuck."

And that was that. Just a plain old ratty little 'fuck.'

● Ky ●

After Kate left Bill's office, I sat there in a tense silence with him while contemplating what I should say.

"Bill, is this necessary?" I asked, looking him straight in the eye. I had known him for several years now, since he had grown up with my father, and we had gotten close. He was like a second dad to me after mine died. But now, I was just furious.

"What do you expect me to do, Ky? Let you get away with this? It's the rules, you can't go around screwing your hockey teammates."

"Fuck the rules!" I stood up and slammed my hands down onto the desk. "In no rule book or contract that I've read or signed did it ever say that I couldn't have sex with Kate or get involved with her."

Bill looked up at me and shook his head. "That's because there's never been a female hockey player on this team. It's common sense, Ky. I'm sorry."

"No, you're not. Bill, listen. None of this was Kate's fault, okay? I was the one who told her to keep it casual and a secret." Lie. Kate had actually been the one to impose the amazing proposition on me, and I didn't refuse, but I would go down under before letting her take all this shit after what she's already been through. "But you can't do this to us."

He stared at me for a long time. "Do you like her?"

"Of course," I scoffed.

"No, I mean...do you have feelings for Kate? Like you want to be more than casual?"

I paused; second guessing myself.

There were moments in Kate and I's 'relationship' when I wondered if we would be compatible with each other...and every time I thought of that question, I said "yes" to myself.

All those spent moments where she made me laugh, or vice versa. Or the one time she made me climb a water tower; and when we reached the top, she looked like the happiest and prettiest human alive. And that time when we won the Stanley Cup and she gave me sweet little kisses all over and I the same. Also how when she went through all that media shit and threw the vase at my wall.

I had loved her through it all.

So when I had expected that a horrid feeling would fill me, I was shocked when I felt fairly comfortable with the idea of Kate and I as a...couple. A real one where we eat off each other plates and joke around and cuddle and eat ice cream together and make love to each other and...

"Oh my God." I whispered to myself, but Bill had heard it.

Looking up, I caught his gaze and blinked. "I'm in love with Kate."

His eyes widened but he made no move to scold me or yell or ask me what the hell I had gotten into.

Then, the most unusual thing ever happened.

Bill smiled.

"Well then," he said, standing up and straightening his suit, "I guess I'll have to call off the guards."

I blinked. Once. Twice. "What?"

He came towards me from behind his desk and patted my back all the while a confused look was plastered on my face.

"If you truly love Kate, then I'll let you two be. But no sharing with the team, and no public displays of affection anywhere outside of your houses. Understood?"

I gaped at this strange man in front of me. "What?" I repeated.

He laughed and gently pushed me out of his office.

"If you want to be with her, I'm not stopping you. Now, go...before it's too late."

Then he shut the door and I stood still for a few minutes, processing what had just happened.

And with all the happiness and love and whatever else I had in me, I ran out the stadium and headed to Kate's place.

●●●

   Have a fantastic day, much love,

-Anne :)