Chapter 25 - Thanksgiving

Chapter 25: Thanksgiving

Four years later

● Kate ●

"Hey there, knucklehead." I said happily as I scooped up little Timmy into my arms. He squealed delightfully and kicked his legs around while I tickled his tummy. "Did you miss me?"

He nodded and smiled, showing his two missing teeth in the front. My parents had adopted Timmy a year ago after discussing wanting another child. Soon enough after Christmas, a tiny, blonde haired, energetic little boy popped into our lives. I couldn't have been any happier.

Laughing, I carried him to the kitchen where my mom and dad were busy cooking something and Stanley was running in circles, chasing his tail.

"Mmm," I hummed, sniffing the air, "smells like heaven."

Mom came to me and took Timmy out of my arms so I could take a seat on a stool. "If you mean your father's lasagna, then yes. It sure does."

I grabbed a glass of lemonade and took a few drinks. "So, when is everyone getting here?"

Dad checked his watch. "They should be arriving in a few minutes."

"Who's coming again? I always forget their names..." I said bashfully.

Dad sighed and started his talk. "Okay, so there's Aunt Denise and Uncle Jerad on your mother's side, and then Susan and Ulysses on mine. Then their kids Caleb, Anthony, Sophia..." and on he went, explaining to me our complex family tree.

The doorbell rang.

"Just in time!" Mom exclaimed and we all headed out to the entry hallway to greet our family members.

The house soon flooded with overexcited relatives that we haven't seen in over a year. There were hugs, kisses, and laughs that echoed throughout the house. I showed everyone to their tables outside on the large patio, and soon enough, everyone was getting their festive turkey, mash potatoes, green beans, you name it...all piled high onto their plates.

We were all eating, laughing, and talking when my cousin Kale's wife, Tara, turned to me and asked me a question.

"So Kate, do you miss hockey?" She asked curiously and the whole table tuned in to hear my answer.

Hockey. Something that I tried to not think about every day, but it would eventually come back to haunt me.

"Of course I do, it once was my life." I answered.

"Do you wish you still played?" another person asked.

I shrugged. "I made my decision to quit, and I think it was the right one."

There were more questions after that, and suddenly, it all started to feel like one big interview.

"It was so cool when you played for the Rangers!" my little cousin, Caleb, said with such delight. "They're my favorite! Especially captain Ky Salazar! He's so good..."

There were murmurs of agreements going around the table as everyone drifted back into their conversations. But that one name repeatedly echoed through my mind as I sat stiff and still.

Ky Salazar.

I wonder what he's up to, now. He's obviously still captain, because Bill would be stupid not to have him as that position.

It had been four years. Four painful, excruciating years of me trying to forget that man, but that couldn't happen. He was like flypaper...and I was the fly.

After he had told me that he loved me and left, I was shocked, and immediately broke down afterwards. The season was ending, so I forced Bill to trade me off to another team. Without so much as a goodbye, I left and played for the all-women's Olympic hockey team for two years. After winning a Gold Medal, I quit playing hockey at all and moved back to Minnesota with my parents.

So here I was, sitting at a table surrounded by the people I love on Thanksgiving. See? This isn't so bad...

But I knew that my heart and soul belonged to New York City. The flashing lights, the towering sky scrapers, the honking cars...I even missed the not-so-friendly people flipping each other off in the streets. New York City was my home, and I had left it all behind.

Including Ky.

With an aching heart, I willed myself not to sulk or break down in front of family. So I bore my teeth through the last hour and kissed everyone goodbye; wishing them a safe trip back home and a Happy Thanksgiving.

After helping clean up in the kitchen, I told my parents and sweet little Timmy that I was feeling tired and was going to bed early.

Safe and sound inside my quiet bedroom, I sank into my comforter and stared up at the ceiling.

"Kate Pruitt. The first female hockey player to ever have her name engraved on this beauty. Congratulations, baby." Ky said, and my heart fluttered.

The memory had made me smile and my chest squeeze. I remembered all our conversations, all our kisses, hugs, and the dirty little sweet nothings he would whisper into my ear. I remembered it all with an achingly hollow pain.

"I love him."

The words were just soft whispers, but I felt like I had shouted it from the rooftops. An astonishing feeling awakened inside of me, and I realized that this was the same feeling I had when I was with Ky. Whether we were standing close to each other or touching or kissing or making love...this feeling...it made me feel so whole and complete.

This feeling was good.

This feeling was warm.

This feeling was love.

●●●