snowball (gerpol)

requested by keepyourselfsafe_

thank you for requesting!! i hope you're okay with me building up on the storyline you gave :)

TW: no tw!

--

"Tak, tak, I know... yes, no, no, nie martw się," Poland murmured, lying down in bed with the telephone nestled between his shoulder and ear as he scrawled in his notebook, trying to finish some of his homework. "You fuss too much, don't worry about me. Worry about yourself too, finals week isn't only coming for me you know... tak, tak, I promise- co kurwa-?"

Poland tsked and put his things away. "Talk to you later brother, some bastard is throwing snowballs at my window. I'm about to send some fool to space. What? Tak, perhaps I should piss myself off royally so that I can finally send myself to space."

Poland chuckled, bidding farewell to his brother. "Alright, I have to go now, take care."

As soon as he put down the phone, rising from his bed, he scowled, inspecting the pile of melting snow. Then he walked towards his open window, lips curled in a snarl. "Hey, skurwysyn- o cholera."

"Niemcy? Wait, I'm coming downstairs," he yelled, immediately turning back to take his jacket and keys. Germany froze, his arm in half swing as he was preparing to launch another snowball at Poland's "window".

He shrugged on his jacket and sprinted down a few flights of stairs, running towards the other male. "Hey! Surprised to see you here. Not studying for finals?"

"Oh, nein... just taking a break. Sorry about that, I didn't know your window was open. I can't see, my glasses keep fogging up." As if to demonstrate his point, Germany took off his glasses to wipe the condensation of the lenses with his scarf. "I just assumed there was something there 'cause I heard a splat. Don't you have a screen to keep the bugs out?"

"It's probably too cold for the bugs," Poland shrugged. "Probably hibernating, or frozen, or something. Haven't seen any bugs fly in, anyway."

"If it's too cold for the bugs, it's probably too cold for you, why is your window open?" Germany laughed, nudging Poland. The latter rolled his eyes, turning away to hide a small smile. "You, you are just like my brother. Always nagging, always fussing."

"Lithuania? It's good to have people who care," Germany teased, fake pouting.

"Mhmm... tak, tak, whatever you say ukochany..." Poland nodded, bending down and gathering snow in his hands. "Wait, what are you- you never agree with me so easily like that- what are you planning...?" Germany questioned, trying to see what the other was doing.

"Ahh... nothing, nothing... I'm just going to walk away now..." Poland hummed, taking big strides away, smirking as the fresh snow crunched under his boots.

"Wait-" Germany said, turning to follow Poland. Just as he did so, he was met with a handful of snow in his face. "Ach! Du-"

He took his glasses off, running towards Poland. "I'm gonna get you for this!"

"What, you can see without your glasses?" Poland asked, feigning astonishment.

"Ja... it's a little blurry but luckily for me, you're wearing black, so I can see you very well," Germany explained, grinning like a little kid. "Come here!"

Poland danced out of reach, running deeper into the snow. "Come and catch me yourself!"

They frolicked in the snow, throwing handfuls of snow at each other, sometimes missing, and shoved each other before dashing off, trying to stay out of reach of each other and snickering loudly as they did so-

-before Germany slipped on a patch of smooth ice, falling into a pile of shovelled snow. Poland let out rambunctious laughter, clutching his stomach as Germany heaved himself up, feeling for the glasses he had dropped in the snow. "Ach... fick dich..."

"Wait, I'll help you up, just- just give me a minute," Poland wheezed, coughing and trying to reign in his laughter. Then he ran towards Germany, who was still trying to find his glasses. He did not, however, see a chunk of compressed snow lying in his path, and fell on all fours in the snow.

"Kurwa!" he swore, as he got up quickly to dust off as much unmelted snow off his sweatpants. "My pants are soaked, they're going to freeze!"

"HA," Germany shouted, despite still being unable to see clearly without the glasses he had misplaced. "That's what you get."

"Ah, so you can see now. Alright then, let's go up to my place to have something warm to drink and eat," Poland rolled his eyes, pretending to get up and leave. "Wait, no, no, no, I didn't see shit, I just heard you fall and swear and I still can't fucking see- please help me," Germany begged, moving his hand over the surface of the snow frantically.

"I was just joking," Poland laughed. "Here, I'll help you."

He picked up Germany's wire frame glasses from the snow, wiped off the water and put it back on the German's face. "There you go, can you see now?'

"A lot better, thank you," Germany sighed, picking himself off the floor. "Let's go upstairs to warm up."

Poland spun his keys, climbing up the stairs to his unit with Germany on his tail. When they were inside, he closed the window and turned on the heating, clearing his things from his bed so Germany could take a seat. They both took their jackets off, and Poland left to change his pants for a pair of dry ones.

"Make yourself at home, take whatever you want to eat and drink- except the alcohol. Let's not get drunk in the middle of the afternoon," Poland called, as he shoved a pile of things to the side of the counter so he could make himself a cup of tea.

"Ignore the mess, you know I'm more organised than this outside of exam season," the Pole remarked, when he caught Germany eyeing the chaos on the kitchen counter. Clean and dried dishes were stacked haphazardly on the side, the former not having had time to place them back in place.

"Oh- okay," Germany mumbled, making himself a cup of coffee. Poland took a seat on the floor of his room, placing his mug in front of it and taking a sip every now and then while waiting for Germany to join him. When he did, he decided to join Poland on the floor instead of sitting on the bed.

"My hands are cold," Germany complained.

"Put your hands around your mug."

"It's too hot, it'll burn my hands."

There was a pause as Poland took a gulp of his tea, then cupped Germany's hands in his palms before blowing and kissing his knuckles. "Better?"

Germany nodded, stunned. They had been together for a few weeks now, but Poland usually avoided showing so much affection, which Germany mostly understood. This was a big jump, which left Germany quite flabbergasted.

Poland laughed, a short, warm sound that enveloped Germany. "Come here."

Germany shifted over to Poland's left side, bringing his mug with him. Poland unfurled his wing, curling it around Germany's shoulder. "Thank you," Germany smiled, giving his partner a kiss on the cheek.

"No problem, anything for you... Say, what do you think about dinner at my place tonight? I'll cook and then we can revise together after," Poland suggested.

"For real?" Germany asked.

"Yeah, and if it's too late for you to go back you can sleep over and I'll lend you some of my clothes so you can have some clean clothes to sleep in," Poland confirmed.

"That sounds great, I'd love to have dinner here," Germany replied.

"Lovely."