A New Enemy

Chapter 16

Loki docked the ship before he and Abi got off. They were greeted by several people and shown where they could freshen up. They tried to usher Abi towards the healers but she had already pretty much healed. Instead she cleaned up and then went to find Thor.

"That looks good on you." She gestured to his eyepatch as he looked at her in the mirror. She smiled as she poured herself a drink. "This better be that strong stuff you gave me and Steve before Ultron."

"Sadly, no, but it's still not a mortal drink." He laughed.

"I can deal with that." She leant against the back of the sofa and looked out of the window at the stars. "You know, before my life went to shit and Hydra grabbed me, space travel wasn't even a possibility. Everyone was too focused on the war to even try it. Then I come back after more than seventy years, and the men who built the bombs had put a man on the moon." She laughed and shook her head. "Bucky's going to get a kick out of this story when I get back."

"You found him then?" Thor asked.

"Yeah, not long after you left." She decided it was time. "Look, some shit went down, back on earth. The Avengers..." She trailed off as Loki walked in.

"Suits you." Loki looked at the eyepatch.

"Maybe you're not so bad after all, brother." Thor smiled.

"Maybe not." Loki returned the smile.

"Thank you." Thor said. "If you were here, I might even give you a hug." Thor threw one of the bottle lids at him, expecting it to go straight through.

But Loki caught it. "I'm here."

Thor smiled before turning back to her. "Abi, you were saying something about the Avengers?"

"It's okay, it can wait until we get closer to Earth. We should celebrate." She raised her glass and took a sip.

"Do you really think it's a good idea to go back to Earth?" Loki asked.

"Yes, of course." Thor said. "The people of Earth love me. I'm very popular."

"Let me rephrase that, do you really think it's a good idea to bring me back to Earth?"

"Probably not, to be honest." Abi smiled. "Don't worry, I'll vouch that you're a changed man. I can't promise that no one will try and kill you though."

The brothers moved so they were leant either side of her on the sofa.

"Yes, I wouldn't worry, brother. I feel like everything's gonna work out fine." Thor said.

But as the worlds left his lips, the whole room got dark as a huge ship rose in front of them that absolutely dwarfed their ship. Abi closed her eyes and looked into the minds of the people onboard the other ship.

Thor and Loki both looked at her as she shot to her feet and the glass in her hand shattered against the floor.

"You know who it is?" Thor stood.

"Thanos." The word was barely above a whisper.