2|| Reject

Lunch was the worst part of each day.

Diya avoided the cafeteria. It combined the two things she hated most- loud noises and intrusive glares.

Usually, she would sit on the fields that surrounded the school. They were always empty, fresh air replaced the ignorant, repeated conversations, and she enjoyed the peace and quiet. It allowed her to finish her assignments, do some light reading, and not have to worry about slurs hurled her way.

But today was Valentine's Day.

And that meant there would be couples exchanging deluded declarations of love as though they were part of some epic novel. Picnics, with a side of nauseating assurances of everlasting feelings, were a given.

It was enough to put Diya off her go-to meal spot.

So, she went to her second lunch place.

A gap barely large enough to fit a person between the Tech and English block offered her a disappointing but secluded backup. Overturned bins and rubbish strewn and splattered greeted her on the far-left side. A rancid stench carried through the breeze and Diya gagged, swallowing back bile. This was definitely an area the school wanted Health Inspectors to avoid.

Nevertheless, it provided isolation and not a hint of romance. No love professions would occur here.

Diya sidestepped a suspicious patch of liquid and settled down as far away as possible from the waste. She pulled out a small package from her bag and unwrapped the cellophane, grimacing at the sandwich.

She took a bite and spat it out. As she suspected, the vegetables and cheese had long since expired. She should've suspected as much when the cook had offered to make her lunch this morning. He didn't like Diya much, and was always looking for a way to make her suffer.

Then again, not a lot of people liked Diya.

I guess I'll go hungry today as well then, Diya thought miserably, chucking the food away.

With an exhausted sigh, she tipped her head back, staring at the brilliant blue sky. She drew her knees to her chest and inhaled the not-quite-fresh air, revelling in the quiet and solitude.

Sadly, it didn't last long.

"Ahem," Someone coughed, shuffling closer.

"Fuck off," Diya said, not bothering to see who either had no sense of smell, privacy, or both.

"Now is that the way to treat your new friend?"

Diya cracked open an eye, a dark scowl tugged on her lips, "Sebastian, what the hell are you doing here?"

Sebastian kicked a plastic bottle, watching it shoot off against the bricked wall and land somewhere in the rubbish, "You looked lonely."

Diya pursed her lips in a scowl, "Gee, thanks."

"No, wait, no! That's- That's not what I meant! It's just that-"

"Look, Sebastian, I'm sure you had honourable intentions for talking to me," Diya rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, the plastic bangles digging into her skin, "But I'm really not interested in a friendship so you could please leave?"

"What if I–"

At this point, Diya was tired. An irritated sigh pushed past her lips. She didn't know what Sebastian wanted. A familiar hum of energy sang under her skin and she snapped her fingers. A dark, swirling cloud appeared and shoved Sebastian back.

His eyebrows shot up, "You're a Necromancer?"

Diya gave a curt nod and the shadows retreated to their corner. But this time, reeling them back was a little harder to do so. They seemed... excited? Nervous? It was difficult to tell.