25|| Instincts

"Wow, I thought you'd be happy to see me?"

"Shut up and defend." Diya lunged and slammed the wooden sword down with both hands, splinters erupting where it made contact with her opponent's.

Kyler blocked with ease and grinned. "Ah, little Diya, you're forgetting who helped train you."

"Strangely, I only remember you being used as a bad example."

"And look where you are now." Kyler pretended to wipe a tear from his eye, batting away Diya's attack with a slight flick of his wrist. "Ready to die for the kingdom that tore you apart."

"Oh do shut up."

"Never."

The duo were locked in a hypnotising dance, jabbing and swiping at any weak points and constantly pushing the other over the limit. Kyler slowed the fight down, forcing Diya to be more cautious about each move. In turn, she focused each attack on his weaker left side.

"Take a break, Recruits!"

Diya stopped midway her attack and allowed her weapon to drop by her side. Without looking at Kyler, she crossed the training field and grabbed one of the clay cups filled with water. Chugging it down, she almost sighed in relief at the coolness slipping down her throat.

"Still pretty good at following orders, I see," Kyler murmured, stepping next to her. Even after the extensive training, he'd barely broken out into more than a light sweat and caught the eye of more than a few recruits with his dazzling smile.

"I was trained pretty well."

A gaggle of recruits passed by and one shifted away from the pack to shove against Diya's shoulder, mumbling something under her breath that caused Diya to tense up, and then retreated to the safety of her group.

"What did she say?" Kyler asked, raising an eyebrow. But Diya wasn't fooled- she saw the subtle clench in his jaw and the slight tightness in his voice.

She shrugged. "Nothing. She just wanted to intimidate me- you know they're tryna cut down the numbers here. As I got beaten last time, she thinks I'm next."

"Should I–"

"No."

"You didn't even hear what I was gonna say!" Kyler protested, lips pursed like a petulant toddler being denied their favourite toy.

"I think I've known you long enough to guess." The ghost of a smile flickered across her expression and she picked up her weapon. "Now, why don't you tell me what the hell you're doing here?"

"Would you believe me if I said I wanted to be a good older brother?" Kyler lunged and feinted right, then slammed his sword into Diya's stomach.

She reeled back, heaving huge gulps of air, eyes flicking to the sergeant who had been watching. Once their back was turned, she moved faster than Kyler could blink and landed a hit that would have snapped his neck if he didn't move in time to block.

"Since when have you been interested in being an older brother?" she mocked, pressing tighter.

He bit his bottom lip and shoved Diya away, the effect sent him reeling back and almost crashing into another group. "The others sent me to keep an eye on you." A half-lie, but better than the truth.

"I don't need you to be my babysitter," she hissed, eyes flashing with annoyance.

"I'm sure you don't. But Mother and Father insisted. Eirian couldn't come because she's working on getting the information about the drug you asked for. Azrael isn't good enough with a sword, and Lucas... well, you know."