12|| Second

Whispers and rumours followed Diya to the extent that she wished to leave early. However, Duke and Duchess Elsher were elated at the sudden attention and subjected her to the cruel words.

"Smile and look pretty, Diya," Duchess Elsher whispered. "You don't want to be locked in the Light Room again right?"

"No Duchess," Diya replied, trying to hide her trembling hands. Her lips were stretched in a reluctant smile and her eyes were full of fear, but it seemed to fool the sadistic couple.

"Excuse me, Duke and Duchess Elsher." The Second Prince limped forwards and inclined his head respectfully. "Do you mind if I have a private talk with your daughter, please?"

"Not at all Your Highness!" Duke Elsher practically shoved Diya away, his usually pale face was slightly ruddy from the alcohol and attention.

"Miss Elsher," The Second Prince turned and hobbled away, "please follow me."

Diya remembered Hazel and Carlos's advice, feeling slightly guilty that she was not taking it. I mean, it's the Second Prince, surely he doesn't count, right?

The Second Prince- Caspian, Diya suddenly remembered- led her to the gardens, out of sight from the Main Palace.

"Your Highness, what did you–"

The Second Prince whirled around and pressed the end of his walking stick to her throat. Diya froze, fear clogged her throat and her heart drummed to an unsteady beat. The shadows rushed forwards but she held them back, holding no desire to get executed for attacking an Imperial.

"What," Prince Caspian hissed, "are your intentions?"

"S-sorry?" Diya raised her palms in surrender.

"Did you plan this? Did you want to gain the attention of the Imperial Family? Maybe try and climb up the social ladder?"

"You've got it all wrong," Diya growled, her fingers twitched and she resisted the urge to throttle the man. "If I had my way, I would have–" She stopped, realising any words spoken in anger could be construed as treason.

"You–" Prince Caspian stepped back and slowly lowered his weapon. "I don't know what you're planning. I don't know why my brother has taken a liking to you. But rest assured, if you hurt him, or if I find out that you have wrong intentions against my family, I will destroy you."

"Believe what you want, Your Highness." A slightly mad chuckle bubbled out of Diya's throat. "I don't want this any more than you do."

Something strange flickered across Caspian's face and he took a step back, eyes narrowed in disgust. "I will find out what you are planning."

Diya curtseyed with the barest flicker of a smirk. "You may do as you wish, Your Highness."

Caspian sneered and brushed past Diya, taking care to whack her shin with his stick. Her eyes watered, but she waited until he was out of sight before letting out a pained gasp.

"Bad man!" The shadows clamoured. "We will avenge you, Lady!"

"No need!" Diya reigned most of them in, but a single strand escaped- possibly to trip the Second Prince up when he was least expecting it.

Despite her attempts to be a mature adult, Diya grinned at the mental image of his Royal Assholeness tripping up in front of important guests.

Diya let out a long sigh and touched the base of her throat, still feeling the ghost of the stick lingering there. A sudden coldness draped over her shoulders and she smiled, realising that a spirit was hugging her.

That was one of the best and worst things about being a Necromancer- Diya was never alone.

"Thank you," she whispered to the night air.

"Who are you talking to?"

Diya whirled around and frowned at Sebastian. "Myself. I sometimes need to have an intelligent conversation."

"Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness, y'know?" He sat down on the edge of a fountain, the moonlight catching on his blue hair.

Diya snorted and joined him, tilting her head back. "Sure...what're you doing out here? It's rude for the main character to leave his own birthday party."

"I needed some fresh air... I felt like I was going crazy being surrounded by all those Nobles."

"Really? What happened?"

"Oh the usual... shoving business propositions in my face, trying to use their sons and daughters as marriage or business candidates, blah, blah, blah." Sebastian waved his hand carelessly.

"That sucks."

"Eh, you get used to it." He glanced at Diya and nudged her with his shoulder. "What about you? Why are you out here all alone?"

She hesitated, realising that, despite their friendship, Sebastian was unlikely to believe her over his brother. Diya shrugged and attempted to seem nonchalant. "Oh I just wanted fresh air too... a lot has happened this evening."

"Yeah... speaking of which, are you okay?"

No. "Yeah, I'm fine. Don't suppose you know anything about the assassin?"

Sebastian glanced around nervously and dropped his voice to barely above a whisper, "I- uh, well, I don't know much but there are suspicions that the assassin was sent by the demons."

"That's a lie," Diya said harshly, her jaw clenched tight in anger. "They would never–" She broke off suddenly with a fierce shake of her head.

Sebastian frowned and tilted his head. "Diya–?"

"We should head back," she said abruptly, standing up and smoothing the creases out of her dress. "Besides, it's getting late. I'm sure my parents will want to leave soon. I'll see you at school, Sebastian."

"Wait, Diya!–" Sebastian tried to grab her arm, but she easily evaded this movement and walked away, the darkness seeming to swallow her whole.

***********

Next chapter: Leave

Qotc: 

1. Thoughts on Caspian? 

2. I see some new faces in my notifications! How did you guys find this book? 

3. Have you read any of my other works? 

I hope you guys liked it! 

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)