9|| Banquet

Diya spent the next few weeks visiting Hazel's boutique and checking on her dress, or sometimes to just have a chat. Without fail, the boutique owner greeted her with a warm smile and the hours flew by when they started talking. She also gave some very good tips on how to deal with unsavoury strangers at the ball.

"My advice," Hazel said, waving her hand and creating another stitch in the dress, "is to lie. Lie like your life depends on it, because sometimes it does."

"What do you mean?"

"If a stranger is being too pushy, I suggest you pretend you have promised someone else a dance. Or say you have a headache. Do not under any circumstances," Hazel waved her scissors threateningly, "escape the room alone."

"But I thought getting away is the best option?"

"Oh yes, it is," Hazel nodded, "but you must not go alone. The unsavoury stranger, pride wounded, is likely to follow you. I don't think you would have any problem defending yourself, dear, but if it's some very high-ranking Noble then they could easily pin it on you."

"Okay... Thank you for the advice."

"Of course," Carl said loudly, passing Diya a plate of cookies, "if someone gets too friendly just... y'know, stab 'em."

"Stab 'em?"

"Politely."

Carl was a lot more outgoing than he seemed during the first meeting. He and Diya could spend hours discussing books they'd read and bonded over the mutual sentiment that humanity sucked. Carl had also found his soulmate and was initially hesitant to tell Diya about them, worried about hurting her feelings.

"Carl," Diya had said, rolling her eyes, "I've spent my entire life dealing with this. You're my friend, so you don't have to worry about hurting my feelings. Now tell me about this person before I explode from the suspense!"

"Carl!" Hazel admonished her nephew, "Violence is never the answer."

"Violence is never the answer," Carl nodded, "but it is always an option."

Hazel hit him with a ribbon, but a small smile played on her lips. Diya wished they knew how lucky they were to have each other. She ran her fingers over the fake part of her ear. It felt uncomfortable and tight, but served as a reminder that she couldn't get too close to anyone. Sure, people might accept a normal Reject, but there was no way they would accept her.

* *

The day of the banquet arrived and Sebastian was nervously pacing his room, wearing down the plush carpet. Normally, he would have been ecstatic. Birthdays were supposed to be fun!

But not today.

Sebastian felt he had gotten a lot closer to Diya. She no longer rolled her eyes whenever he appeared, and she even complimented him on the progress he had made with his magic!

Fine, she said he didn't 'entirely suck at it' but it was close enough.

However, he felt like today he would be on the receiving end of her wrath.

"Calm down," Caspian drawled, leaning back in his seat and lazily looking out of the window. "You're making me nervous."

"Sorry," Sebastian said, but his steps quickened as he crossed one end of his room to the other. "It's just- what if Diya hates me?"

"Diya?" Caspian frowned and tilted his head to the side. Recognition sparked in his features and he nodded. "The Necromancer from the Capital?"

"She helped me take down the Fjardka."