35|| Torturous

Sebastian refused to let go of Diya until they were in the medical ward, pushing his Etheri to its limits but refusing to give up. His arms trembled and his knees buckled as he gently placed her on the stretcher and followed it down the corridor.

One of the senior Healers tried to push him back, but his will was made of iron as he stared at the convulsing body of his guard. It was only when Doctor Khasia pointed out that his presence would make it harder to treat Diya that he stopped and watched her go.

Sebastian slid down the wall, chest heaving with each lungful of air he forced in and out. A strangled cry wrestled from his throat and he refused the cups of water being offered.

"Will she be okay?" He asked one of the junior Healers who had been staring.

They shrugged. "I cannot promise anything–"

"Will she be okay?"

"I- I really can't say! I-if Doctor Khasia is treating her, then there's a high chance she will be." They stepped back and fear crashed over their features. Sebastian realised lightning was crackling from his form and drew it back with a muttered apology.

One hour later, Doctor Khasia emerged with a grim expression. Sebastian was on his feet in an instant. The Healer never looked grave; annoyed, exasperated, and even kind, but never serious.

"What's wrong?" Sebastian asked, although he was afraid of the answer.

Doctor Khasia did not look at him, but to the Healer behind. "Get the Second Prince down here immediately."

"What's going on?"

Doctor Khasia turned and rested a hand on his shoulder as if to ground him back to reality. "Crown Prince, I think you should sit down for this." She led him to the small room on the side of the wards, away from the death and healing.

"Wh- what's wrong with Diya?" Sebastian asked again as he was lowered into a soft chair with many cushions. He refused the biscuits and water that was offered to him.

"She has scars on her wrist, Crown Prince. Scars I never thought I'd see again in my lifetime."

"You mean she's–"

"No." Doctor Khasia cut in firmly. She took a deep breath and leaned back in her wooden chair. "Do you know what the Magia-pati chains are?"

Sebastian shook his head.

"Good. I had hoped your grandmother managed to eradicate every trace of them when she rose to the position of Empress, long before you were born, but it seems some managed to slip through." She got a far-off look in her eye.

"Yes, but what does this have to do with Diya? Is she okay?" He asked impatiently, glancing out of the room as if he could peer into her ward.

"I was a little girl when I first heard of the Magia-pati," she continued as if she hadn't heard him. "It was during the war between the elves and the Cereans. A brutal, bloody war that was prolonged by the fact that both sides could wield magic. And then, it all changed when the elves created a truly deadly weapon. The Magia-pati could bind the powers of any creature."

Sebastian sucked in a sharp breath and flexed his fingers, causing a small spark to flicker through. To be robbed of his Ability was–

"Torturous," Doctor Khasia said. "It was such a horrific creation that, once the war was over, both sides agreed to destroy every copy. The victim could feel their powers just out of reach, but unable to access them. It's incredibly painful, especially for those who can control physical matter- like Necromancers."