Chapter 5

Leilani's POV

I pull up in the car that Letti's brother lent me. Or father now, I guess. As I exit EZ and the kids come outside and letti locks their house up. "You'll be staying with Adam and I until this shit dies down with these boys. I hope that's okay." I tell letti and brush the hair out of her face. She smiles and hugs me before her and Adam hop in the car. I turn to EZ and thank him for the help. "I was gonna offer you to come by for dinner and bring your brother. I told Coco he was invited too. Considering I'd have his daughter for a little while. But he said you all had club business and would be gone for a day or two. So I'm guessing that's not an option." I said, fidgeting. He laughed and nodded. "Club needs me. I'm there. You're no stranger to that." He says as he gets on his bike. I nod and wave before heading towards the driver's side of the car. He starts his bike, and I look up. "EZ. Do you think you could give Coco my number? Ya know, so he has a way to contact me if he needs to know anything about Letti." I ask, reaching for the handle. He smiles and nods before taking off. I get in the car and start the engine. Adam scoffs. "What?" I ask as we make eye contact through the mirror. He's staring daggers in me. "Ma. Don't do this to yourself again. I see that look in your eyes." He states, never breaking eye contact. Letti is quiet. I'm curious as to what he's saying. "What? Are you scared your mom's gonna bang EZ? That's MILF status at its finest" She blurts out with a smile. He rolls his eyes kicking the back of his seat. "Adam zip it. And EZ is not my type." I tell them as we pull away from Leticias. "Really? Cuz Juan was pretty decent. You know, until everything happened. Maybe had you not opened you're mouth to Gemma-" I cut him off before he could finish. "Adam Alexander Carlos!" I yell, slamming onto the brakes. Letti jumps and flinched at my voice. She's never even heard me raise it before. I let out a sigh. "You have something to say about that we can speak privately. As for whatever you assume my intentions are, you're wrong. I'm making friends in high places to keep us safe. To keep everyone safe. So forgive me if your attitude is a little out of place for me at the moment." I state, gripping the steering wheel until my hands are nearly blue.

......

As I pull the car into the space next to mine the kids hop out and head towards the house. I let out a breath and light a cigarette from the pack I found in the car. 5 years smoke free down the drain from an innocent comment. I start thinking back to a few years ago.

5 years ago:

I shouldn't be here. I left. I put it behind me so why has he called me. From Stockton of all places. As I sit in the waiting area helplessly looking at my phone. Gemma hasn't picked up in days. But if I show my face I'm scared of what she could've told the club. I hear the buzz from the door and look up. There he is. The Mohawk less visible. The guards guide him over here toward the table. "Hi Lani." He softly speaks out. This saddened look on his face. What has the club let happen to him. The once smiling man I knew looks like he's been lobotomized. "Juice. What the hell is going on?" I ask, grabbing his chained hand. He yanks it from my grasp, wiping away my touch on his county clothing. I scoff. He just stares at me. No words no expression. "You doing good down south?" He asks me, avoiding everything I've said to him right now. "No, hey how's Adam? How's the son I refused to love? No, oh ya know club business is why I'm in here even?" I grit at him. He looks up and leans forward. "I'm a dead man Lani. And if you didn't see it on my face when I came in you do now. The way isn't important. What is important is that you, and Adam don't come back. Don't go to charming. Stay far from north as possible." He says sternly. "And why should I listen to you? You won't even give me answers. I'm just suppose to avoid my uncle? He'll come looking for me you and
Know that. Especially after my mom." I tell him, rubbing my eyes. "Leilani, I am not asking. I am telling you. This is not a game anymore. We're not fucking people pretending to be normal citizens. This shit. It's real. And I need you. And my son. As far away from it as possible. Promise me, Right now, You won't go back. Just run." He said, folding his hands together as the chains clank against the metal table. "Well how do I get ahold of Gemma? Did she get a new number or what?" I ask him leaning closer. "Goddammit Lei she's dead. She's dead and Jax killed her. And I am one hundred percent positive I won't make it to chow time in here. So please. If you want to do the right thing fucking run."

.......

I'm brought back to reality by the neighbor lady tapping on my window. "You're allowed one spot in the lot per apartment. If this is your new car get rid of the old one" She says, her spit landing on my cheek. I put the cigarette out and nod. "No Yolanda it's a friends. They're letting me borrow it for the day. I promise it won't be in the lot by the end of the day okay?" I tell her, trying my best to keep my composure. She nods at me with the ugly stern look she holds before walking back towards her apartment. I get out of the car and head towards the steps upstairs. I open the screen door and walk inside. "How's pizza sound for dinner?" I ask looking into Adam's room. "They nod not breaking eye contact from their phones. I set my purse on the table and hang the keys up. My phone begins to ring and I reach for it before I hear my door open. I look up and it's the boy from earlier, holding a gun at me. "You think that club can help you guys? Not if you're dead huh? You bitches made a fool out of me. And now, I'll make a fool out of them." He says, I spot one of the others headed towards the rooms. I look back and forth between them before taking the chance and darting towards the room. I make two steps before the gun hits my face and it's pitch black.

771-867-4523 is calling...