Chapter Eleven

"Detention? Again?" Davey nodded somberly, walking with his sister to the science building. "But why? You already had one."

"I don't really understand it either", Davey sighed, shouldering his backpack. "School would be a lot better if everyone was given one detention for each of their crimes but that's apparently not how it works in real life."

"Maybe we should ask Dad", Sarah suggested, and Davey chuckled. "What? He's bound to know."

"I don't think Dad really enjoys talking about the days he was in prison", he answers, shaking his head. All they knew was that their father got into trouble in his youth, and was convicted for about seven years. They don't know what he did, why he did it, or how Esther Jacobs ended marrying him despite that—and the fact her father was a cop.

Davey really likes his parents love story, and he only hopes to find someone like them someday. "I wouldn't want to even think about it."

"That's fair", Sarah sighs, twirling the car keys around her fingers. "What do you even do in detention?"

"I try really hard not to commit murder." Sarah blinked, her heart nearly jumping out of her chest as Davey's words. "Mr. Wiesel is a huge pain in the ass."

"Oh", Sarah nodded, as if that was enough clarification as to why her brother was thinking about committing a felony. Davey simply continued walking to Mr. Wiesel's classroom, as if nothing happened. "Right."

"Oh, right", Davey remembered, pulling his phone out of his pocket and glancing at the time. "You mind tutoring Jack Kelly? He says he's failing calculus."

"Why...are you asking?" Davey looked at Sarah with a raised brow, meeting her weirded-out eyes. "He should've just asked me himself."

"Says he never sees you", Davey shrugs, wanting to drop the subject. Unfortunately, with Sarah Jacobs as his sister, he could never be so lucky.

"And don't you hate the guy? Why would you do a favor for him?"

"Look, I don't hate-"

"I wouldn't be surprised if you did." Both Sarah and Davey stopped, finding a rather relaxed looking Jack Kelly in their wake. They decided to ignore him, more focused on their issue. "You hate annoying people."

"I wonder why", Davey mumbled under his breath, rolling his eyes. He winced softly as Sarah punched him in the shoulder, the pain shooting through his shoulder and fading just as quickly as it came. "Sorry, that slipped out. But will you do it?"

Davey bit his lip anxiously. Depending on Sarah's answer, this could go either way: he'd either have to talk to Jack Kelly with good news or talk to him, stall a little bit, and then awkwardly tell him the bad news. He didn't want to speak to him much at all, but that was inevitable, since he seemed to be the guy's only friend in detention. They barely knew each other and he was already going to break the kid's heart.

"Sure", Sarah shrugged, and Davey sighed in relief. "Can't be too bad."

"Thank you", Davey praised, kissing Sarah's cheek as a goodbye. "I have to go. I'll see you at home?"

"Nope, going to Kath's." Davey nodded as he watched Sarah walk away, pushing the thought to the back of his mind. "Oh, shit- here's the keys!"

Sarah tossed them into the air, and Davey only hoped all of his time watching football players would be worth it. He reached out to grab them, his arms held out mid-air to make this catch, and he missed so enormously, he could hear Sarah's cackled down the hallway.

"You do know you're supposed to catch them, right?" Davey rolled his eyes at himself and at Jack, who decided now would be the perfect time to speak. "It's part of the whole "toss" thing."