Chapter Thirteen

I finished "The Mind of a Hero", the Elmer-centric murder/romance story. Read if you like!

Enjoy!

———————————————————————

Davey sighed as he watched the cheer team, wondering where he went wrong. No matter how right they were, Davey found something off. "Guys, what's going on?"

He was distressed, regularly stressed, and anxious beyond his own comprehension for reasons he didn't know. It started when he got toothpaste on an old t-shirt this morning, and again when he got the wrong answer in class. And now the cheer team was doing everything right and wrong all at the same time. "Are you guys tired, or something? Why aren't we pushing?"

It was almost clear to see that his team was beginning to hate him, especially with the constant yelling and suggestions. Often times, what he's suggesting is the same as what the routine required, and it was beginning to become tiring doing the same routine over and over again without profit. "I don't know what's wrong."

"Maybe you should send the tall guys back a little." Davey turned around and smiled at the sight of one of his best friends. "And then the girls flip and pop off the ground really hard onto their waists, like in that one Bring It On movie."

Davey and the team laughed as the captain called a silent time out before making his way to the bleachers. He was more than excited, considering he only ever saw Ike in class anymore. "What are you doing here?"

"Volleyball practice was cut early", Ike shrugged, leaning against the cool railing of the fence. "Mush and I are supposed to go to Specs' place to make cookies for Romeo. Wanna come?"

He would've loved that, but Sarah was tutoring Jack tonight. She would kill him if he left her alone with him, probably claiming that he would try to flirt with her in hopes of a relationship—which is exactly what happened in seventh grade and lasted until eighth. But she would also kill him if he said no to this, and hanging out with his friends was far more appealing than pretending to care about learning calculus.

Jack and Sarah would just have to enjoy each other's company without him. "Sure, sounds fun. You guys need a ride there?"

"Nah. Just give the car to your sister and we'll walk. Their place ain't too far from here." Davey nodded, a content smile on his face. He was excited now, and his worries seemed to dwindle a bit. Plus, Ike had a really great suggestion.

They won't do that move specifically, for its too late to change the routine like that. But they could adjust it a bit.

He turned back to the team and called them over, clearing his throat. "Okay, so, I'm going to do the routine with you guys."

Cheers and hollers sounded throughout the field, and Davey rolled his eyes fondly. "And we really need to be on our a-game. Let's strive for no mistakes, no issues, and no giving up. If you do, that's okay, but let's make it a goal not to, okay? On three."

Everyone placed their hand over their captains as Mush counted off, causing everyone to shout in unison before running to their places as Davey motioned for Ike to turn on their music.

He could feel the beat in his body, and moving was just as normal as talking. Every stunt, every dance, every word was hit perfectly with the beat, and Davey felt happy. He felt so content with what he was doing, it reminded him of why he began cheering in the first place.

As the music ended sharply, Davey posed as sharply as he could, a large smile plastered onto his face. Ike's clapping and cheering made him feel even better. "Set!"

The cheerleaders laughed and jumped for joy, Davey walking over to Mush. "What do you think? Was that okay?"

"It was good!" Davey smiled briefly, still catching his breath. "But I still think you're right. Something is missing."