1 | THE LOUISIANNA HAYRIDE

JAMIE PRACTICALLY SKIPPED down the street, her deep purple dress bouncing along with her. She was heading to her friends home, a record in her hand. She ran up the few steps and into the home.

"Mrs Presley?" She said, walking into the kitchen.

"Oh hon, I always ask you to call me Gladys." The woman smiled, wiping her hands on a dish cloth. "Now what's got you so happy?"

"Well, E has been badgering on about getting my own record." She handed the object to the woman. "I finally decided to go for it. The same people that have sold Elvis' music want to do the same with mine."

Gladys smiled proudly at the girl. "Oh honey, that is amazing. I am so proud of you."

The two women hugged and Gladys left a small kiss on the girls head. At that moment, Elvis walked in. He looked at the pair confused but he had a smile on his face.

"What's in your hand mama?" He questioned, snatching the object and looking over it.

Once the realisation hit of what the object was and who's name was on the sleeve, he smiled and looked at Jamie.

"You finally recorded."

"They want to sign me."

The boy leaped forward, picking up Jamie and swinging her around, almost knocking over a cup that sat on the kitchen table.

"Maybe we could sing together." He said, placing the girl back onto her feet.

Jamie pushed her hair back over her shoulder and snatched her record back. "Maybe we could, do a few songs together."

"Oh, I do hope so." He wrapped his arms around her shoulders from behind. "We sound great together."

The two had quite similar music, having grown up with each other in the same towns their whole lives. Black music was pretty much all they knew, but Elvis definitely felt the music a lot more than the girl be stood with.

Jamie Newburn had grown up with a single father, her mother had passed away giving birth to what would have been her younger brother. When it happened, her father couldn't stand staying in Alabama, so he moved to Tennessee where the Newburn's met the Presley's.

Now they had all moved to Memphis. Jamie's father had landed quite a good job which had recently been earning him a lot of money, more than he ever made in Tupelo. Jamie had also decide to help out and had gotten a job at the local diner, where Elvis would often visit her.

It wasn't long until the pair were getting some traction for their music. Some songs they did together, others they did apart. Soon, they were both asked to play at the Louisianna Hayride, singing sperate songs. It was a huge deal for the pair as it meant that their music would be reaching a lot more people and it could mean catching the attention of some more powerful in the music industry.

"Welcome ya'll to the Louisianna Hayride, broadcasting live to 26 of these United States."

Jamie stood in her dress, having decided to wear a somewhat simple black dress that allowed her some movement as she sang. It was very different compared to what other girls were wearing, often bright and pastel colours that contrasted greatly with her own outfit. She was watching the male singing up on stage, it was a very country style song and the way the audience was reacting pleasantly to it began to make her worried about how they would react to her and Elvis' music. While it had a country style, it wasnt quite like music currently being played.

She walked away and outside, trying to find her friend. He was playing after her but she really needed some support. Unfortunately, her father was unable to make it to the Hayride due to his work.

"Hey, E?" She called out, walking down the stairs.

"Hey, little mama." Elvis raised his hand to catch the girls attention. "What you doing here? You're up next."

"I'm scared, E." She admitted. "What if they don't like me? I don't know if I can go on."

Elvis placed his hands on her shoulders. "I'm sweatin' too, darlin'. You gotta go on, they have to hear you. They will love you."

The two just stared at each other until someone nearly slammed open the door.

"Jamie!" The man looked around, his eyes landing on the girl. "You're on! Get up here!"

Elvis kissed her forehead. "You can do, I know you can."

She gave him a small smile before rushing up the stairs and towards the stage. She paused before she walked out, the band behind her was the same one that would be playing with Elvis. There were a couple cheers when she walked out, mainly from men. She took a deep breath and stopped at the microphone.

"Now, ladies and gentlemen. Let's give a nice Hayride welcome to Miss Jamie Newburn."

There were a few giggles from the audience. It was the girl expected. The name Jamie was a boys name. Her father always believed she was destined to stand out and she needed a name to go with it. The girl was just glad he never went too far out with her name.

"How are you, Miss?" The announcer asked.

The girl licked her dry lips. "I'm mighty fine, sir, you?"

"You ready to let us hear your songs? It's not often we have a young woman on here."

"I just hope my songs can compete." She joked, getting a few chuckles. "Now, I-I got a new song out on Sun records and I'd like to play it for you."

The room was quiet, she glanced at the side to see Elvis, Gladys and Vernon all watching her with a smile. She then looked back at the boys in the band, who nodded, silently telling her that they were ready to start.