17 | SETTLING THINGS

"SO ALL DEBTS are now settled?" Jamie asked, sitting beside Vernon and across from the Colonel and some others that she didn't bother to learn their names.

One man nodded, with a rather shocked look on his face. "Uh...yes."

Jamie stood sharply, buttoning her blazer. "Well, it was a pleasure doing business and it will be an even bigger pleasure to tell you all to stay far away from my family. Good day, gentlemen."

She packed up her papers and left the room, Vernon following behind her. She paused and turned to him.

"Vernon, I love you and do not mean this in a mean way, but you're fired."

The man chuckled lightly. "I know, Jamie."

The pair smiled as they left the building, many cameras were suddenly in their faces.

"Mrs Presley! Mrs Presley!"

The woman decided to pause, and wanting to take in her victory, she decided to answer some questions.

"Mrs Presley! Are you looking forward to working with your husband under the same contract as you?"

"Of course I am. I'm happy that he will be working under better conditions and with a much better manager."

"Mrs Presley! How is it you never followed Elvis into the trap with Colonel Tom Parker?"

"Well first off, that man's name is Andreas Cornelis van Kuijk. And second, when my father died, I decided to get a lawyer to look into everything. He suggested I put everything in my own name, I stopped working closely with the man and soon our contact ended."

"Mrs Presley! Where is Elvis?"

Jamie smiled. "Hes resting. He'll be back to his fans in no time at all."

The woman decided that that was the last question, she climbed into the car and let out a sigh of relief. She felt a huge weight be lifted off her shoulders as the car sped away.

Elvis smiled at the TV, having just watched his wife on the news.

"There you have it, Elvis Presley is no longer working with Colonel Tom Parker and we have recently learnt that an investigation will take place to look into how he was handling the stars money. Meanwhile, Elvis is getting his rest and we all hope that soon, the star will be on our stage again."