16 | RECONCILIATION

JAMIE WALKED INTO the room Elvis had stayed in at his time at the International Hotel, it was now bare and nearly empty apart from a few big items that would be taken back to Graceland at a later date. Elvis was beside her and they were trying to find out why Vernon would not leave the room.

Vernon looked at the pair ad they walked in, and then nodded his head to a piece of paper that laid ontop of the piano. Jamie took the first steps towards it and gently opened it. Elvis read the paper over her shoulder, his hand resting gently on her waist.

"What the hell is this?" Jamie asked through gritted teeth.

Vernon sighed. "That is what we owe the Colonel. We're broke."

"Daddy." Elvis spoke. "I've been playing this mausoleum for a hundred years. How could we be broke?"

"You spend so much money. You know, you got the cars and the clothes, and all the...you know, new airplane."

"Daddy, you are my business manager." Elvis stepped away from Jamie as she stared at the total amount. "You're supposed to be taking care of business."

"I don't know what to tell you son, we're broke! We're plain broke! Gotta take the Colonel back. We're gonna lose Graceland."

This seemed to hit Elvis hard. "He takes everything from me! He takes 50% of everything I make! And now he wants to take the home that we bought for mama!"

Jamie shook her head and slammed the paper down. "I'll pay."

Elvis and Vernon turned to her. "Baby, I can't ask you to do that."

"Both of you were stupid enough to allow the Colonel back into your lives after the Special." She pointed a finger at the pair. "You're not taking him back. He's stealing your money, E! He's killing you with these shows! And Vernon, you are a shit business manager, I don't know why anyone allowed you to take that job. Now, both of you need to pull your heads of out of goddamn asses and let me help!"

The two Presley men stayed quiet and watched her.

"I'll lend Prelsey Enterprises the money, you pay the Colonel and he is out of here." She explained, now more calm. "We'll get you more shows, other places, international shows. You pay the money back over time. I'm sorry Vernon, but you're not being the business manager anymore and Elvis, you sure as hell are not gonna continue to spend the money that you do."

"Baby-"

"You said you were gonna change, E." She cut him off. "This is how you do it."

Jamie left the room, wanting to get back home to help the men sort everything out with the Colonel as soon as possible. But as she left the elevator, she saw the Colonel sat on a bench with a small smug smile.

She stalked her way over to him. "You are a fucking conman. You're a blood sucking vampire. You stupid old gambling man. You messed with the wrong woman."

"I'm not uncaring, Mrs Presley."

"Dont you fucking Mrs Presley me! I ain't under your contract any more and neither is my husband. You'll get your money and you will be out of our lives for good. You can waste that money in whatever casino you want but don't come crawling to us and expect to be taken back."

The Colonel stood. "Did you think about everyone who lives off your husband? His father, the Mempis Mafia. They'll all struggle-"

"I've done pretty well on my own without you, a networth that neatly matches my husbands. We will be fine without you. And if I ever catch you near my home or my family, I will shoot you in your goddamn face myself."

"But will you be able to provide for everyone?" He asked, walking over to the elevator.

Elvis and Vernon got out, watching the heavy breathing woman and the calm man. The Colonel got into the elevator and closed the doors.

Elvis walked over to her. "What happened baby?"

Jerry smirked. "I'll tell you what happened, E.P. Your wife is someone I never want to mess with."

Jamie chuckled and soon fell into laughter, everyone following suit. For once, there seemed to be no tension in the room, especially considering what had just happened.

That night, Elvis stared at Jamie. She was sleep in a chair on the private airplane. He was happy to have her back, although he didn't know if he truly did have her back. Her issue had always been with the drugs, he vowed to himself that he needed to stop and that included getting rid of some people around him and taking a break from the rock and roll lifestyle.

He needed to be a family man for a while.

Elvis had opted to go with Jamie when they landed, letting Vernon head to Graceland. The couple sat in the car in silence as they made their way to Jamie's home.

"The kids should be asleep." Jamie said softly, as they walked to the front door.

She unlocked it and went in, closing it after Elvis. The man looked around the home. It was very much Jamie's style, rather simple and it felt like home.

The walls were covered in pictures of Lisa and Jesse, and some were even of her and Elvis together. A lot more of them were when they were younger compared to when they were older. In fact, the newest picture of them was when she last preformed at the International with him and that was a long time ago.

"Do you want something to drink?" Jamie asked, making Elvis pull his eyes away from the pictures.

"Water." He said.

Jamie nodded and went into the kitchen. Elvis followed quietly, leaning against the wall and watching his wife move around the kitchen, pouring two glasses of water.

She handed it to him. "Thank you."

Jamie leaned against the kitchen island, looking at him. "Theres a place, I know. Somewhere you could go to rest, take time before you do another show. I think you should go there."

"I need to be with you." He replied. "With the kids."

The woman smiled and walked towards him, placing her hand to his cheek. "We'll be here when you get back. We aren't going anywhere, baby."