3 | ON THE ROAD

Trigger Warning
Sexual assault

    "SO WITHOUT SO much as a word to your daddy and me, you quit your job to go traveling all the way to Florida with this Colonel fellow that we have never met!" Gladys raised her voice.

Jamie sat at the dining room table at the Presley home, sat with Vernon, Dodger, Dixie (Elvis' girlfriend) and the band.

"Mama, its only four days."

"Yeah! Four days and then what?" Gladys continued, grabbing a drink from the fridge.

Elvis sighed and sat between Dixie and Jamie.

"I knew a fella once, got his record on the radio. It was all over in a flash." Vernon spoke.

Elvis stood once again. "Mama, I'm just tryna take care if you and daddy. That's all I have ever care about. I ain't gonna let us get back to that place again where daddy gets in trouble with the law to put food on the table."

"Elvis!" Gladys almost shouted. "How dare you. As the goof Lord warns us, do no wear yourself out to get rich. Do not trust your own goddamn cleverness!"

Elvis sighed as Gladys slammed her apron to the floor and stormed into her bedroom.

"Elvis." Dixie spoke up. "You've upset your Mama." She nodded her head in the direction of the way the woman stormed off in.

The young man walked off after her.

Vernon took a sip of his drink and looked at Jamie. "So, you going with?"

"Yeah." She nodded. "E argued that if he goes, so do I. Daddy's okay with me goin'. He trusts Elvis and well, we're making enough money now and well, he never really wanted me to work in that diner."

Vernon nodded slowly. He could never say much to persuade the girl, she wasn't his daughter.

"I know you'll keep Elvis in check." He finally said. "Make sure he stays out of trouble, yeah?"

"Of course, Vernon."

A couple days later, Jamie stood out side the apartments, hugging her father who had taken the day off work just to give her a good goodbye before she left for a few days.

She also said a goodbye to Dixie, Dodger, Vernon and Galdys. All of whom reminded her to look after Elvis, however, they had all said to Elvis that he needed to look after Jamie.

She hopped into the passenger seat beside Elvis and the two smiled at each other. They were about to start a new adventure together and it would completely change their lives.

They stopped, sang and were back on the road. Stopped, sang, back on the road. Stopped, sang, back on the road.

The four days soon turned into a couple of weeks. Jamie found this life exhausting yet exhilarating. She loved preforming and began to notice the difference between her and Elvis.

Elvis was attracting the girls, while the men were either jealous of him or they wanted to be him.

Jamie was attracting all the men, while the girls were either jealous of her or they wanted to be her.

Her style changed slightly, she began to look more 'edgey' to appear more mysterious for the men. This was a small imput my Colonal Parker but it seemed to do that trick as more men began to become interested. Her music also changed, it became more upbeat like Elvis' but the lyrics were still somewhat controversial.

Quite often, when they were on the road, Jamie would be almost curled up in the passenger seat writing her next song. Unlike Elvis, she wrote her own songs.

As the tours continued, it was clear that Elvis Presley and Jamie Newburn were becoming fast rising names and were soon overtaking the main star of these tours. Hank Snow was starting to become agitated at the pair, they were taking over his tour.

At night, when they stayed in motels, Elvis often found himself alone, missing his friends and family, missing Dixie. But he felt more lonely at the fact that the promise he kept to Gladys prevented him from having a good time.

Meanwhile, Jamie (who was in the room right beside Elvis) also found herself feeling lonely. Her father had suddenly become a lot more busy, he barely answered her calls and when he did, they were short. Men stood outside her room, just as women did outside Elvis'.

But what scared Jamie was the amount of times men would try and break into her room. Until one night, one man did and almost immediately had Jamie up against a wall with his mouth on hers.

Elvis had heard the commotion and the slamming of the door, making him run into Jamie's room, his band mates following right behind. The three men pulled the unknown man off. It caused a huge thing in the papers.

'Unknown man assaults rising star Jamie New.'

Elvis easily persuaded the Colonel to let Jamie stay in his room until the tour was over. He wanted Jamie to head back home but the girl had made a promise to Gladys to look after him and she had to stay to do that.

The night the assault happened Elvis found himself wide awake, staring at his motel door. His eyes wandering over to Jamie, who slept in one of the twin beds, every once in a while. He was punishing himself for not doing a better job at protecting his best friend. He didn't get any sleep that night and he told no one. He didn't deserve pity after allowing that man to assault his best friend.

His best girl.