4 | READY TO FLY

ON ONE CAR ride, Jamie found herself staring out of the window. She didn't notice that in the back seat, Elvis had been offered a small drug to help him stay awake. But Elvis had never questioned it, he simply took it and looked at Jamie.

He had noticed that the girl was a little more jumpy around men she didn't know. She stayed back from the edge of the stage as men had began to do what girls do at his shows, a large crowd of men were now gathering at the edge of the stage in Jamie's shows. But she never let her behavior become too obvious and Elvis was unsure how to bring it up to her.

Soon enough, the Hank Snow show turned into the Elvis Presley and Jamie New show.

Ever since the newspaper misprinted the girls name, everyone began to refer to her as Jamie New. She had lost the 'burn' part of her name.

After one show, Jamie had found herself at one of the carnival games. She stood playing it when a man, around her own age, came over. He stood a little aways and watched as she threw a ball, attempting to knock over the milk bottles. Unfortunately, she missed and so she sighed loudly.

The man, cleared his throat to get her attention. "You're not throwing it right."

Jamie turned to head, making eye contact with the man. He was quite handsome and held a small smile on his face.

"May I?" He asked, pointing to the ball in her hand.

She nodded and gave him the ball, watching the way he threw it and knocked over the milk bottles.

"I think I got it." She said, picking up the last ball.

She threw it and jumped in a cheer when she knocked them over. She was then handed a small stuffed bear.

"Thank you..." She trailed off, not knowing the mans name.

"Oh." He blushed in embarrassment. "My names Adam. Adam Hanks."

She smiled. "Jamie Newburn."

He chuckled a little. "I know, I-I watched your show. You're a really good singer. I thought your last name was New?"

Jamie shook her head. "Oh, no. It's Newburn, misprint in a paper and all of a sudden, it's Jamie New."

The two began to talk and walk through the carnival, Jamie had no idea that Elvis had been watching her. Of course, he was looking out for her. She was with an unknown man and he was worried for her, but he had noticed that the man was being rather respectful. He kept his distance, didn't touch her in any way unless it was to make sure she didn't bump into anyone and he seemed to be listening to her.

Elvis felt a rise of a feeling in his stomach, one he had only felt one other time in his life. When Jamie had been asked out by a guy at their high school, the girl turned the guy down but when he heard the word girlfriend come out of the guys mouth, he felt the need to punch him and drag Jamie away.

"Hey, E." Jamie smiled, walking up to her friend, the man trailing behind. "This is Adam."

Elvis reluctantly held his hand out for Adam to shake. "Nice to meet you, man. I'm Elvis."

"I saw you singing." Adam smiled, taking Elvis' outstretched hand. "You and Jamie are amazing."

"Thanks." Elvis replied simply.

Jamie, sensing the slight awkwardness, looked around for something fun to do. "Hey, come on, let's go in the house of mirrors."

Their band mates suddenly appeared, having had the same idea as Jamie. The small group made their way in, but somehow, Jamie and Elvis became separated from Adam and their band mates.