1. No New Friends

Ayana POV

Holidays. I haven't been big on holidays for a long time. I usually like to stay at home or spend time my sister and friends. For the most part, I try to avoid them at all costs. Today was American Independence Day and the last thing I wanted to do was go anywhere. Once you have seen one fireworks show, you have seen them all.

The food is overrated and the forced interactions with people you really don't want to be around are front row of the show to your hidden misery. I could be doing something else right now but instead I'm in the car with my older sister Alondra; on our way to the bitter end of where we once called home.

"Tell me again why we have to go be around all these uptight and insecure people?"

"You know why. It's the 4th. You know how she is about holidays. She wants her family there. You know there is going to be a lot of people she doesn't know there."

"Her family? Yolanda only wants us there for public appearances. Plus why do we continue to celebrate this holiday? We should be doing this for Juneteenth." Yes I call the woman that gave birth to me by her first name. I haven't called her the "M" word since our father died. That was fifteen years ago.

"Whether you want to accept it or not, she is still our mother. Believe me; I don't like being around their reality show drama either. We still have to act like we are a family for a few hours."

"You are lucky I love you. That's the only reason I put up with these mediocre events."

"Thank you. Plus I know there is going to be good food and strong drinks there."

"Scratch the food. I'll take the drinks. The stronger, the better."

We pull up into the driveway and get out. There are tons of people in the backyard that I've never seen before. We head inside and I instantly regret it.

Yolanda and her disgrace of a husband Douglas are in the kitchen, sucking face while Yolanda is holding the potato salad. I just lost my appetite and I feel my breakfast wanting to come back up.

"Hey Ma. Hi Doug." Interrupts Alondra.

Yolanda pulls away from him. "There are my babies. I'm glad you finally made it." She smiles at both of us before coming over to greet us. She gives us both a hug and kiss on the cheek.

"Hey there Alondra. Ayana." He cocks his head to the side to see me standing behind my sister. I don't bother giving him the time of day or acknowledging his existence.

"The food should be ready in a few minutes."

"Ok Ma. Do you need help with anything?"

"No baby. I got it. Thank you though. Take a seat with your sister."

We move passed them and find spots on the love seat.  We sit and talk while the house begins to fill up with people. In the midst of our conversation, my eyes drift to a man that came towards us. He was tall with a pretty brown complexion. His features were strong and appealing. His facial hair was groomed neatly into a clean goatee with a splash of gray in it on his chin.

"Hello. Excuse me ladies, my apologies to interrupt but I'm looking for Doug. Have you seen him?"

My eyes lock on his face as he turns his attention to Alondra. He was very attractive and the fact that he wanted the devil himself raised sone red flags.

"Yes, he's actually right behind you."

"Thank you."

"Doug the plug! How's it hangin?"

"Cal my man. All is well. How you feeling?"

"Great man. This is a nice place you have here."

"Thanks man. I can't take all the credit. It's because of my lovely wife. One sec."