2. Don't Keep Me Waiting

A month later

Ayana POV

I pull my notepad and pen out my apron as I approach a table. "Welcome to Douce Âme. I'm Ayana; your server. What can I get you started with today?"
I lift my head up to make eye contact with the customer and instantly feel weak. Cal.

His eyes meet mine for a second before speaking.

"I'll have the chicken and waffle special with a sweet potato pecan waffle instead of the original."

"Okay sir; what would you like to drink?"

"Water with lemon would be fine."

"Ok. I'll be right back with your water."

"Thank you." He places the menu down and pulls a laptop out his messenger bag and places it on the table.

I turn around and walk to the kitchen. I place the ticket on the order wheel and proceed to get his drink. As I'm filling his glass with ice, Sonia slides next to me.

"Who is that cutie at table 8? He can get all of it." She fans herself with her hand.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." I shake my head trying to get the glimpse of his eyes out my memory.

"Try me." She crosses her arms over her chest.

"His name is Cal. He is Doug's best friend."

"That ingrate has friends? I never would have guessed it."

"Right. I met him a month ago. When Yolanda had that gathering for Poc injustice day."

Sonia hollered. "Girl you mean the Fourth of July? That is hilarious. Have you spoken to him?"

I shake my head. "Not since today. I just observed him from afar that day. Now I have no choice." I sigh.  I walk toward the door that leads out the kitchen.

"You got this Yaya." Encourages Sonia; following behind me.

I nod. "Thanks." With the water in hand; I place it down next to him when I get to the table.

"Thank you." His eyes never left the screen.

"You're welcome. Your food will be ready shortly. Is there anything else I could get you?"

"No ma'am. That will be all."

"Yes sir. Your food will be ready shortly." Did I really just say the same thing twice?! What is wrong with me?
I walk away to from the table and continue serving the other customers until his food is ready.

I bring his food and once again, his eyes are glued to the screen of his laptop.
"Anything else sir?"

"No, thank you. I'm good."

"Let me know if you do." I give him a small smile before walking away.

As the night progresses, I notice he hasn't moved from the table. I check on him periodically and he continues with the same answer.

I watch the clock as my shift is about to end. "Finally."

I begin to pack up my belongings when Sonia come up to me.  "Yaya, I need a favor."

"Sure what's up?"

"Can you cover for me tonight? Jax just surprised me with tickets to see Wale tonight."

"I'm literally about to walk out the door."

"I know but please?" She begs, "I will do your Econ homework for you next week."

"Ok, fine."

"Thank you!" She squeezed me in a tight embrace.

"You're welcome. Go have fun. Tell Jax I said hi."

"I will!" She grabs her bag and runs out the back door.

I continue working until it's almost time to close. I come out from the back and check the register.

I happen to look up and noticed Calvin is still sitting in the same spot.

"Umm sir. It's closing time." His eyes rose to meet mine. He and I were the only ones left.

"I know. I was waiting for you, Ayana."

"Me? Why me? And you remembered my name?"

"Yes you." He closes his laptop and placed it back in his bag.

"You didn't answer my other two questions?"

"Are you always like this?" He asks with a lite chuckle.

"Like what?"

"Straight to the point."

"Yes. It's my best quality."

"I doubt that."

"Excuse me?!" My eyebrows furrow in confusion. "Who the hell do you think you are talking to?"

"I meant that as your beauty is your best quality. Well one of them."

"Calvin, why are you here?"

He stands from the table to walk towards me. "I was here to get something to eat but once I realized you work here, I decided to stay."

"Which brings me back to my second question, why Calvin?" I place my hand on my hips. I'm starting to get irritated.

"To talk. We didn't talk at the party but was wondering if now would be a better time considering we are away from your parents."

"My parents died 15 years ago."

"Excuse me? Isn't Yolanda-"

"She gave life to me but she isn't my parent. How about we finish this conversation another time. I'm not in the mood for this right now."

"How about we talk about it over dinner. What are you doing tomorrow night?"

"Dinner. Why do you want to take me to dinner?"

He smirks. "You definitely are a feisty one."

"You are old enough to be my father. No thank you."

"You say that but the way you were checking me out that day says different.

"I wasn't checking-,"

"What would you call it if not that?"

"I was observing you. There's a difference."

"It's the same thing."

I cross my arms across my chest. Ain't no way this man is serious. Why does he want to go on a date with me of all people? I observe him from head to toe. He was dressed casual in a white t-shirt, fitted jeans and white air forces. He wore a navy blue and white fitted New York hat as glasses frame his face. He looked good. Extremely good.

The fact that he was serious was a surprise to me to say the least.  He could have anyone his own age. What did he want with me? I go over every possible reason but none add up.  He takes a step closer and stands with his hands behind his back. The closeness of his presence was a foot length away from me. He towered over me with his muscular stature.  Our eyes meet again.

"Like I said, what are you doing tomorrow night?"

—————
Stalker or nah? He waiting her whole shift to talk to her. That's dedication.