5. Pressure Point

Calvin POV

I couldn't help but want more to the wild side under that innocent face. The more that I stole glances and listen to what she has to say; the more I wonder what all she possesses. Her beauty is captivating and her intelligence is intriguing. For her to be so young and know what she wants is refreshing.

Since that night I brought her home, I've found myself indulging in her more and more as the days progress. The need to know what she is thinking is becoming dire.

That following week turned hectic as far as work which led me to spend my days at Ayana's job. I sat in a quiet corner in the back, out of sight with my laptop. Even though it was considerably crowded, I didn't mind the ambiance. I became accustomed to the food and the staff were accommodating.

I was working on something in depth when my usual was placed on the table in front of me. I look up to meet the alluring eyes of Ayana.

"Thank you mamas."

"You're welcome Cal. How's it going?"

"It's going. Having to deescalate some issues with employees, revise some policies and making sure all the numbers add up is part of owning your own businesses."

"That seems like a lot of work. Why don't you have an assistant?"

"I do but she is on medical leave right now plus I prefer to be hands on. A good way to stay in touch with my employees and keep in the know."

"True." She tops off my glass of orange sweet tea and places a hand on her hip. "Need some help?"

"Sure, I'd like that. When's your break?"

"In twenty minutes." She checks her watch before bringing her eyes back to mine.

"Aight. I'll be here." I look her body up and down as she turns to walk away from the table. A shiver ran through my body. "She know she look good in anything."

Exactly twenty minutes later, Ayana joins me with a plate of food and a glass of strawberry lemonade.

"That was the slowest twenty minutes of my life." She takes a sip from her glass. "How's it going?"

"It's going. Half way done." I take a slight pause and watch her as she eats. "What are your plans after work?"

"Home and shower. I have to close up tonight."

"Want to come over? Dinner and chill?"

"Don't try to act all innocent. I know exactly what you want."

"What would that be Ms. Ayana?"

Instead of answering, she shoves a fork full of food into her mouth. Her eyes spoke for her which always sparked the overpowering sensation to rip her clothes off.

"You ain't slick, Calvin." She smirks before taking a sip of her drink.

"You say all that but you love it when I'm tearin that ass up."

"True."

We continue with the conversation until she finishes eating to go back to work. I leave for a while to go handle some business before she gets off work. Around 9:30pm, my doorbell bell rings. I open the door to see Ayanna standing there with a weekend bag on her arm and all the stresses from work on her.

"Come in baby. Let me get that for you." I kiss her lips as I grab her bag.

"I'm so happy to be off work. I'm in desperate need of a shower."

I take her upstairs and turn on the shower. "Take as long as you need. I'm going to go make sure everything is ready for dinner."

She nods her head and disappears into my huge master bathroom. I head downstairs to finish up and set the table. Fifteen minutes later, I hear footsteps coming towards me. A pair of arms wrap around my body from behind with the body pressed into my back.

"Feel better?"

"Yes. Thank you."

"Hungry?"

"Yes please."

We take our seats at the table and enjoy the dinner I whipped up. We grow deep in conversation that I wasn't entirely expecting.

She traced the rim of her cup; alternating between the tips of her middle and index fingers.

"So what's the problem with you and Doug? Why don't you associate with him?" I asked.

"I strongly dislike him."

"Why?"

Her eyes meet mine for a second then back to her cup. "I don't think you want to know the details of that. He's your friend. I don't want to hinder your friendship. Plus I don't want to bore you."

I chuckle. "You are not going to bore me that's for sure. You are the most interesting person I've ever come across actually. Yes we are friends but I am fully aware of his ways in certain situations. So please feel free to discuss with me. I'm all ears." Reassuring smile.

Her eyebrows raise slightly for a moment then relax. She shrugs. "If you say so." She takes a sip from her cup and sits up straight.

"I dislike him because of who he naturally is. He is disrespectful, arrogant and materialistic. He is a full blown narcissist. He tricked Yolanda into marrying him knowing how vulnerable she was. Not to mention the money she had fallen into from my father's passing prior to meeting him."

"I'm aware of his narcissism. He's been that way since I've known him and I'm sure prior to. How did he trick her?"

"What man is going to marry a single mother of two girls that has only been with her for a month? He didn't meet us until the ceremony. They got married at the courthouse without my family including my grandparents."

"Hmm. Maybe it could have been an instant connection? Maybe he knew from the moment he met her that he wanted to be with her for the rest of their lives? You never know. Continue please."

"I'm pretty sure ten minutes into the conversation her vulnerability lead her to share with him that her dead husband had left her with a large sum of money that would have her set for the rest of her life and still have money to put her kids through college. And I'm pretty sure after that all he saw was dollar signs."

I take a sip from my cup. "Maybe. Maybe not. Have you ever tried to talk to him? Establish a relationship?"

She opened her mouth as to speak but closed it instantly as if the thought had left her.

"There's nothing to talk about."

"The pain in your eyes tell me different."

"You don't want to hear where that pain comes from."

"Is it the same place that holds you to calling your mother by her first name?"

"No mother would do the things she has done."

"What has she done?"

Silence. Thick enough to cut like a brick of velveeta cheese. With every question, her eyes burn with tension. I wanted to know what the problem was even though I know that Doug is not the easiest person to deal with.

"It's nothing. I need to get some sleep. Are we done?"

"Yea. Go up. I'll be there soon."

"Goodnight. Thank you for dinner." She kisses my cheek and heads upstairs.

"Good night." I watch her walk away before clearing the table. My mind runs wild with what the problem could be between Ayana, Doug and her mother.

The defensiveness of her demeanor was apparent. So much that it made her leave. Even though we are still getting to know each other, I understand her. I want to know more but will she allow me? When I finish, I head up stairs and take a quick shower. I watch her as she sleeps for a moment while getting dressed. The curve of her body. Her long beautiful legs being hidden under the covers. I climb in and pull her close to me. The warmth of her body melts into me as sleep creeps up sooner than later. Making it up to her was on top of my priority list for having her feel uncomfortable in the conversation. But how?