3. Lose Control

Ayana POV

"You have a date with who tonight?!"

"The guy from work that happened to be shitbox's friend."

"That man is fine! What's the problem?"

"The whole situation is the problem. The acquaintance which is the sole reason of us even meeting in the first place. Why would I want to date someone that is close with the main person I despise most in the world? Plus he is old."

"Hold it right there. I know you are not talking about his age." Sonia gives her a stale look. "All you date is older guys. Did you forget the last guy you were with was 14 years older than you. I'm sure this one is close to the same age as him."

"When we dated he was still in his 30s so it was fine." I shrug off the comment and look through what outfit options I have.

"Be real Yaya. You prefer guys that are way older. I have never seen you date or even talk to a guy close to our age."

Sonia was right. I had a history of dating guys that had ten plus years on me. Guys my age didn't know how to indulge in passionate conversation and keep my interest in every area. I avoided them at all cost.

"Ok, fine. Yes I prefer older guys but this one is off limits. I'm only doing this one time. I can't have Satan or Yolanda finding out about this. I will never hear the end of it."

Sonia sits in the chair in the corner of my room with a bowl of chips. "Have you told Loni yet?"

"Told me what?" Asks Alondra as she enters the room with a bottle of wine.

"I have a date with Cal tonight."

******

The smooth and inviting energy of the restaurant calmed my nerves tremendously. I was a nervous wreck on the way here and was anxious of how this would go. He picked me up at 7 on the dot. When I opened the door, my knees felt weak.

"Hey beautiful." He greets me by kissing my hand. "you look quite ravishing this evening."

"Thank you. You look handsome yourself. Care to come in?"

"Yes please. Thank you. You ready to go?" He comes inside as I close the door behind him.

"Yes. Let me grab my purse." He nods in agreement.

I walk back to my room and grab my clutch off the bed. Upon me returning, I see him looking at the photos on the wall.

"I'm ready."

"These are beautiful. Who shot them?"

"Me."

"Really? You have a beautiful eye for detail."

"Thank you." I walk closer to him.

"Shall we?" He asks; taking my hand into his.

"We shall." We exchange smiles before exiting.

On the way to the restaurant, a wide variety of music plays softly as we talk.

"So where are you from originally?" I ask as I look out into the open road.

"What makes you think I'm not from here?"

"Your accent is a dead giveaway."

He chuckles. "New York. Staten Island to be exact."

"Interesting. What brought you to the DMV?"

"Needed a change of scenery and work."

"What do you do?"