Chapter 4: Murder children

Just open the door Shizuka, what's the worst that can happen? 

She shuddered at the mental image of dozens of bloodthirsty shinobi kids, deathly weapons pointed at her as soon as she opened that damned door. She knew she was being silly, but still.

A plain looking wooden door was right in front of her and had been for the past five minutes. Today was to be her first day training to be a ruthless kunoichi. She had woken up stupidly early, too disoriented from the unfamiliar room to fall back asleep.

Since Shizuka had to do heaps of physical exercise today, or at least that's what she assumed shinobi in training did, she wore her freshly bought 'shinobi outfit'. It consisted of a black skintight vest with sleeves that reached just below her elbows, which the store owner had insisted was totally in fashion at the moment. She had it zipped all the way up to her neck. She had carefully made sure that none of her scar tissue was on display.

Over the vest she wore a greyish skirt with several slits to allow her to move around freely in it. Just because she was going to be a kunoichi didn't mean she couldn't dress prettily anymore. Under the skirt was a pair of tight black spandex shorts to protect her modesty. Her dark hair was tied into a ponytail, the tip just reaching below the nape of her neck.

But back to the problem at hand. The same escort from the previous day had picked her up and dropped her off in front of this door, informing her that this was her classroom. 

She took in a large breath, willing her nerves to calm. It's now or never.

Shizuka resolutely opened the door, striding in with all the false confidence she could muster. She squarely ignored all the eyes she felt burning into her side as she made eye contact with who she assumed was the teacher.

The man looked friendly enough, with tanned skin and soft eyes. He wore his brownish hair up in a high pony tail, metal forehead protector tied in front of his, you guessed it, forehead. A scar stretched from one side of his nose to the other, giving him a more rugged appearance.

"Ah you must be our new student." The man smiled kindly at her. "My name Umino Iruka and I will be your teacher during your stay at the academy. Please introduce yourself to the class."

Already she could hear hushed murmurs echoing through the room.

Slowly she turned towards the class. The room was constructed in a way where each row further from the front was higher, resulting in the vast majority of the class staring down at her. It was unnerving.

Her mother, her fingers twitched by her side, had always told her to pick a point in the room and stare at it if she was nervous. So that's what Shizuka did.

She stared stubbornly at a point on the drab wall as she exhaled strongly.

"Hello everyone, my name is Furukawa Shizuka and I will be joining you from now on." Her voice was even. "It's nice to meet you."

She could faintly pick up on what some of the kids in the front row were whispering about.

"A transfer student? That's unusual, right?"

"Yeah totally. I don't think I've seen her in the village before."

Finally, she allowed her eyes to roam the room in front of her. It was stupid but she was still mildly surprised that the other students looked like normal kids. They looked just like her. Her eyes paused for a second on the sight of her neighbor sitting on the window side, gazing out of the window unbothered.

A soft bark pulled her attention away from her neighbor to see a now familiar white puppy perched on top of his owners head. Kiba grinned widely as their eyes met.