Chapter 20: Ambush

Shizuka yanked herself out of her sleeping bag as Kiba deflected another kunai coming their way. She took a short moment to grab her weapons pouch and tie it around her right thigh, gaze sweeping around the camp of genin scrambling awake.

There were at least five masked men, judging by the sturdy build, embroiled in a fight. Hinata and Shino were tag teaming three of them, somehow managing to hold them off as Akamaru went around barking and biting to wake up a still sleeping Naruto.

One assailant was already captured in the Yamanaka mind transfer, judging by Ino's still body and the assailants sudden change in priorities, turning against the fifth man. This gave Shizuka some reprieve to yank a dazed Naruto out of his sleeping bag as Kiba joined the rest of his team.

A disruption in the air was all the warning she got as several shuriken came sailing her way. Pulling out a kunai of her own, she easily deflected the metal weapons. Shizuka cursed softly as another five or so men clad in black darted into the camp.

Her irises bled into a bright crimson with a quick pulse of chakra, almost glowing in the light of the full moon. Naruto and Sasuke, eyes equally crimson, appeared at her sides as they prepared for battle. She briefly wondered where Kakashi was but had to focus on the battle in front of her instead as three of the men darted in her team's direction.

She countered a kunai aimed for her throat with her own, sparks flying from the metal at the strength of the hit. The man leaned his body weight into the hit, causing her to hastily jump backwards to avoid being forced down to the ground. 

Shizuka sent an annoyed look towards the man, only his eyes were visible above a thin piece of dark cloth. A set of swift hand signs was followed by a water bullet sent her way. She managed to form her own set of hand signs in the nick of time, countering the jutsu with her own imperfected fox fire. A hissing sound filled the clearing where fire met water, steam forming and obscuring her view momentarily.

The man, unbothered by the heat, dashed straight through the cloud of steam, kunai aimed at her heart. At such a close range, Shizuka stood no chance of dodging. A pained grunt escaped her lips as the metal dug deep into her chest. 

Instead of blood however, bright red spider lilies erupted from the wound as her form disintegrated, blown apart in the soft breeze. The man whirled around instantly in search of the real Shizuka but not fast enough to avoid a kunai to the throat.

Her eyes narrowed as the man disappeared into a cloud of smoke. A clone. Scanning around the clearing, it was hard to tell where the real one had gone so she opted to dart back into the fight, coming to the aid of a struggling Hinata, flaming orb in hand.

She let out an annoyed hiss as this man too turned into smoke as soon as her jutsu connected. A quick glance around showed both Sasuke's and Kiba's opponents befalling a similar fate. Now that the genin severely outnumbered the men, they made quick work of what was left.

"So where's the real one?" A panting Hinata asked as all the clones were dispatched off. 

"More importantly." Shizuka spoke as she stepped closer to the girl. "Where are our teachers?"

"Motherfucker." Kiba cursed as he noted their absence. "This was part of the stupid team building."

His statement was followed by several disgruntled murmurs, only silenced as a slow clap filled the air.

"Excellent work, you guys." Asuma's voice rang out as he stepped out from behind a bush, flanked by Kurenai and a bored looking Kakashi.

Chouji loudly booed at the trio, joined in by Naruto, Ino, Kiba and Shizuka.