Chapter 7: Catching rabies

It has been five days since Shizuka had been taken away after the incident and wilder and wilder rumors were starting to go around the class.

"I heard she's been thrown in jail for attacking a fellow classmate." A brown haired girl whispered loudly.

"No way, I actually heard she's been banished from the village. Surely they wouldn't just let her stay after what happened." Her friend replied with a conspiratorial smirk on his face. "She's clearly too dangerous to be around us."

For most of the class this was the juiciest piece of gossip since Sasuke had a new haircut a few years ago.

Kiba clenched his jaw angrily, his better than average hearing easily catching the conversation.

"Maybe she was taken out by that ANBU if you know what I mean." The girl moved her thumb sideways over her neck dramatically.

"Would you two shut up already!" Kiba finally exploded, shooting up from his seat and slamming a hand on their table. "Why don't you mind your own business for once."

The pair, feeling adequately chastised, got up and left their spot.

"Just because he's a clan kid he thinks he can yell at us. What an asshole." The boy grumbled nastily, very aware that he was still in hearing range.

Kiba let out a frustrated huff as his hands clenched into fists tightly. He barely suppressed the urge to snarl after the pair. All his more animalistic instincts were telling him to go after them and put them in their place until they submitted. 

"Relax man." Chouji put a hand on a fuming Kiba's shoulder. "They don't know what they're talking about."

Begrudgingly, Kiba allowed himself to calm down, slumping back down in his chair.

He let out a ragged sigh as he dragged a hand down his face. Akamaru whined softly from where he was perched on top of his owner's head.

"I know. I'm just worried."

At first he hadn't thought much of Shizuka being taken away. He had figured it was more or less basic protocol due to her using what he supposed was her kekkei genkai on him.

But then she hadn't shown back up in class the next day, nor the days following. Now, five days had passed and a tight pit of worry sat uncomfortably in his stomach.

Why wasn't she back yet?

He tried not to listen to all the rumors floating around but what if they were true? What if she was really kicked out?

Focusing in class was hard when all he could do was stare at the empty space besides him.

"All of us are worried. Let's ask Shikamaru whether he can get some information out of his dad." Chouji responded with fake optimism.

~~~

"Again!"

Shizuka panted loudly as she activated her kekkei genkai for the 8th time in a thirty minutes.

She made direct eye contact with Gai-sensei, pumping a bout of chakra into her eyes.

Instantly, the man froze across from her. She suppressed a groan at the developing headache throbbing at her right temple.

The incident at the courtyard had finally shed some light on the workings of her kekkei genkai.

It was genjutsu.

Whenever someone made direct eye contact with her when her eyes were activated, she could trap them in a genjutsu if she so desired. It was...odd to know that she could perform a widely considered difficult art so easily. Gai-sensei had told her that even he struggled with genjutsu, never having learned much more than how to dispel one. A genjutsu specialist was rare in the village nowadays.