Chapter 18: The genin nine

"So that's really it?" Shizuka questioned dully from where she was leaning against a tree (her right leg was still a bit weak) as she regarded the two shoddy graves in front of their little group. "Shinobi are really used like tools, huh?"

Apparently, a lot had happened during the end of the battle while she was preoccupied being a blubbering mess with her cousin (a little bit embarrassing). Haku had taken a fatal blow meant for Zabuza, who had eventually died himself after killing Gato, who had turned against the shinobi.

"All shinobi are tools in the hands of destiny." Kakashi explained. "There's no point trying to figure out if it's wrong or right. That's just how it is."

Wasn't that depressing?

"Well if that's what being a shinobi is all about, it's stupid!" Naruto retorted stubbornly.

Shizuka agreed silently. She knew at heart she wasn't really cut out to be a shinobi in the traditional way. She was too soft. Too unwilling to set her own feelings aside for the sake of a mission. There was no loyalty towards her village. Only towards a hand full of people within said village.

At the start, she was only on the kunoichi track because the Hokage had forced her into it. Now, however, she knew she wouldn't quit even if she was given the choice. Shizuka couldn't sit on the sidelines as her friends and family were in danger. She would die fighting alongside them.

"Why does it have to be like that?" Sasuke asked.

The boy had eventually grown so tired of Shizuka's fussing and coddling that he had yelled at her to leave him be so now Shizuka was miffed and refused to look in his direction.

"Well, that's a question I don't have the answer to." Kakashi replied. "And us Shinobi have to deal with it. Though we all have to discover our own destinies, there are some things we can't avoid."

"I've decided!" Naruto exclaimed, tapping his hand to his chest. "I'm finding my own shinobi way. A way that's straight and true and has no regrets. The way of Naruto."

~~~

"We could never have finished the bridge without you!" Tazuna exclaimed gratefully. "I can't tell you how much we're going to miss you."

The man had decided to name the now completed bridge after Naruto. Shizuka was actually extremely annoyed at the fact. Hadn't the rest of them worked just as hard? Shouldn't it be the team7 bridge? If it had to be one person, it should surely be Sasuke? The one that nearly died?

"Be careful on your way back." Tsunami added on kindly.

"Thank you very much." Kakashi replied politely as he turned to leave, Sasuke at his heels.

"Now don't get all choked up." Naruto said to Inari, both of them tearing up. "We'll come back and visit you all real soon!"

Shizuka rolled her eyes at the pair, sending a polite bow towards Tazuna and Tsunami (mostly the latter if she were honest) before heading off after her sensei with a slight limp.

She couldn't wait to be back in the village.

"So sensei," She started, drawing his attention. "Since this mission was above our pay grade, do you think the Hokage will pay us extra?"

"Keep on dreaming." Sasuke muttered.

"No one asked you." She huffed, purposefully moving to walk right in front of him.

~~~

Shizuka couldn't believe her team was the first one to show up to the training ground. Including her sensei. After returning to the village and getting her leg fixed, the Hokage had informed them of a joint training session between the three rookie teams to promote inner- and inter-team relations.