Chapter 13: Stranger danger

"It's huge! Naruto exclaimed loudly as they (not so) quietly (anymore) drifted near a bridge under construction in our small boat.

"Quiet!" Their guide hissed. "We're travelling with the motor turned off with a reason. I'm trying to get you guys into the village without being noticed."

Naruto quickly slammed his hands over his mouth, ducking his head down in embarrassment.

A brief glance was shared between Shizuka and Sasuke out of the corners of their eyes from where they were perched next to each other on the front of the boat and the corners of Shizuka's mouth pulled up.

"Tazuna-san." Kakashi spoke behind them in a steely voice. "Before the boat reached the pier, I need to ask something of you. "You will tell us the identity of those after you and why you're a target. If you refuse to do so, I can and will call the mission off when you reach the shore."

 Shizuka craned her neck to pay closer attention to the showdown.

Tazuna was silent for several moments as his eyes flickered between Kakashi, the bridge and the three genin. Eventually, he let out a deep breath and his shoulders slumped down. Most likely he realized that he didn't have much of real choice.

"The one who is after me is a small man who casts a large and above all deadly shadow. I'm sure you've heard of his name at least. He's one of the richest men around. His name is Gato, owner of Gato Transport."

The older man paused for a second, perhaps for dramatic effect. Unfortunately, Shizuka had never heard of a Gato before so the moment of drama was lost on her. Kakashi however took the cue.

"Gato?" He repeated as his eye widened. 

"Yes, he is an exceedingly powerful man." Tazuna continued, a grim edge to his tone. "Underneath the front of Gato Transport, he uses gangs and shinobi to sell drugs and contraband. He first set his sights on the land of Waves a bit over a year ago. He fully controls all transport to and from the island and anyone who tries to do anything about it disappears."

Then why was he authorizing the building of a bridge?

"The one thing he fears, however, is the bridge I'm building. It will connect us to the mainland and break the control he has over us. That's why he's been sending shinobi after me."

That explained one thing. Shizuka regarded the bridge once more. It was a looming structure that seemed about three quarters finished. Wouldn't it have been easier for this Gato to destroy it as it is than to send several unsuccessful assassins after the builder if he was so scared of its completion? He certainly sounded like he'd have the means to get it done.

"So those guys back on the shore worked for Gato." Sasuke stated bluntly.

"I don't understand something though." Kakashi interjected. "If you knew all along how dangerous this was, why didn't you say so from the start?"

"The land of waves is not exactly a rich village." Tazuna admitted as he fiddled with his hands. "A B or A rank mission would have been unaffordable for us. If you end the mission when you drop me off at the pier, there will be no bridge and I will surely be dead before I arrive home..."

Shizuka pursed her lips. She understood very well why the man had done what he'd done but it still didn't sit with right with her. He was deliberately trying to guilt trip them into putting their own lives at risk, fully aware that he would likely be sending them to a very early grave. Would he have even said anything if Kakashi hadn't noticed something fishy?

She glanced over at Sasuke surreptiously. Was she ready to put not only her own but also her newfound cousin's life at risk for an unknown village? Could she really handle losing him too?