Chapter 14: Strong men

Zabuza's laughter echoed loudly around the small clearing as Kakashi's kunai hovered over his throat. 

The sound made Shizuka feel ill at ease and caused her to grip her own kunai even harder than she already was as she held it up defensively in front of her. Her knuckles were slowly turning white as the blood flow grew limited.

"Is this the end? Don't make me laugh" The rogue nin chuckled darkly. "You can't defeat me with just your indiscriminate imitations."

And then another Zabuza flashed behind Kakashi while the other one disintegrated into a puddle. He evidently managed to catch Kakashi off guard as he kicked him into the water before jumping after the man. 

Shizuka stared anxiously at the water surface, hoping against hope that their sensei managed to pull through somehow. They were totally screwed if Kakashi was out of the fight.

After a short moment the water surface rippled until Kakashi broke through the surface, encased in a perfectly Kakashi-sized water bubble. A decidedly smug looking Zabuza emerged soon after, one hand on the bubble and the other holding onto his sword.

Shit shit shit

Before the genin had time to react another double of the Kiri nin was standing in front of them, his foot digging into the hard metal of Naruto's forehead protector.

She hadn't even seen him move. That's how outclassed they were.

"Hah you're just a pair of kids."

A very astute observation. Shizuka couldn't even bother to be offended by being called a child because, compared to this man, they were just foolish little children.

"Team!" Kakashi drew their attention from within the bubble. "Grab Tazuna-san and run! You can't win against this guy!"

"B-but what about teamwork?!" Naruto retorted, his voice trembling. "You told us that those who break the rules are scum but those who abandon their friends are worse than scum!"

"The best teamwork you can perform now is to leave and save your other comrades!"

At any other time she would have pondered how exactly the sound waves were being transmitted so clearly through a water bubble or how the man wasn't getting water in his mouth but Shizuka had more pressing matters at hand right now.

She grit her teeth as she came to the inevitable conclusion that they were well and truly fucked. She solemnly vowed that if her team died here she would haunt the bridge builder for all of eternity.

"If we run he'll kill you and then come after us regardless. We wouldn't stand a chance." She retorted with agitation.

"Those who break the rules are scum, but those who abandon their friends are worse than scum!" Naruto chimed in. "You taught us that."

Let it be known that that was also the only thing Kakashi had taught them thus far and Shizuka was sure the man was regretting this right about now.

Regardless, there was no other option left for them than to fight for their survival and she send a swift pulse of chakra into her eyes. The only advantage they had was that Zabuza clearly felt too superior to bother himself with a bunch of kids or they would have undoubtedly been 6 feet under already.

Sasuke took the moment to charge at the man, kunai poised to strike at his throat. Without batting an eye, Zabuza plucked him out of the air by his throat in a move that made Shizuka's breath falter, and threw him back into their little genin huddle.

Yet another time where the rogue nin could have easily ended a life. Shizuka narrowed her eyes as she noticed a glint of amusement in the man's eyes. He was toying with them.