Chapter 1 - The favor

Garreth asked twice already.

Sure, You managed to say no the first one, as you had a hitch professor Sharp was not going to let it slide.

But, the second time, it was harder not to gave in. Garreth's smile and freckles were hard to resist, and he knew how to be persuasive.

- "It is the last time! I promise!" Garreth pleaded "Plus you own me one! You let me handle the potion all alone during class. I am sure it would have worked with the fwooper feather..."

- "I do not think it is a good idea... It kind of looks like stealing, Garreth. And what happens if we get caught?" You tried.

- "Oh please, Honeydukes is full of sweets! They will not notice some missing Billywig Stings. And I will let you try my new beverage first!" Garreth smiled "Do not worry about getting caught, I will work on a distraction. I am really good at that!"

- "Fine! But just this time! And do not tell anyone! I would not want Hufflepuff to lose points because of your ideas." You sighed.

Garreth beamed, so happy to finally get you into his plan. He knew you were sneaking around school at night. And that was exactly the kind of skill he needed for his operation.

- "Thank you so much! Meet me at the grand staircase at two pm tomorrow!" He finished before leaving happily.

You let out a long sigh, cursing your almost inability to say no and this boy's cute face. He was lucky you were not a Slytherin!

You went back to your common room, since today's classes were done and you still had time before dinner. This gave you the opportunity to spend some time with your roommates as well as prepare your next herbology class' necessities.

Lost in your thoughts about tomorrow's excursion and trying to balance the risk and reward of the expedition, you ended up mixing your seeds.

- "... can be so scared of puffskeins. I mean they are so cute! ... Hey, are you listening?" Poppy leaned forward, causing you to get startled.

- "I... Uh... Yes?" You let out.

- "Hum hum... You were not listening nor hearing me at all. Do you have something on your mind?" She started to smile.

- "Oh no, nothing really. I was just thinking about herbology class." You said while trying to collect your fugitive seeds.

- "Come on, I see you mistaking your seeds!" She laughed "Do not try to convince me you were thinking about herbology!"

Poppy was right indeed, you were currently packing venomous tentacula instead of dittany in your pouch. You blushed with embarrassment, which only resulted in more laughs from Poppy.

- "So...?" She added, still smiling.

- "So what?" You tried to play dumb.

Nobody should know you were up to no good with Weasley, especially Poppy. She already warned you so many times not to get involved as he always gets in trouble.

However your ineptitude to properly lie resulted in you sweating and becoming really red.

- "What is that reaction? Do you have a crush or something?" Poppy raised an eyebrow.

- "Did I just hear that somebody has a crush?" Lenora, who was on the other side of the room, came running.

The situation escalated quickly and you were not able to say anything coherent while Poppy and Lenora showered you with questions.

Luckily for you, Adelaide came to grab you all for dinner not too long after.

As you arrived in the grand hall the four houses' tables were already full, only leaving place for the four of you.

You jumped into your seat, in need of food to fill both your aching stomach and your mind.

But Poppy and Lenora were not going to let it slide so easily.

- "Is he here?" Asked Poppy.

- "Maybe he is a Ravenclaw?" Added Lenora.

They both turned to the Ravenclaw table, but nobody was looking your way.

At this point, you were a blushing mess. Not because of a crush of some kind, but because of how embarrassing the situation was.

- "I feel like she would be more into Gryffindor boys!" Poppy responded to Lenora.

- "Oh yes! All so sweet and courageous!" Chuckled Lenora.

This remark lends them to spy at the Gryffindor table. Weasley was here... Smiling and waving at you... Even going as far as mouthing "See you tomorrow" making both of your friends squeal in unison as you facepalm.

How stupider could this boy get? His innocent act resulted in an evening of rumors at the Hufflepuff table. Just when you were trying to lay low before sneaking in Honeydukes.

The end of dinner was quite eventful as every eye contact with Weasley worsened the situation. The Gryffindor boy on the other end did not understand at all what was going on with the Hufflepuffs.

As dinner reached its end you sneaked back to your common room, carefully avoiding Weasley, who might have started to get caught in the rumors. At this point it was his problem, not yours.

You managed to have a good night's sleep anyway, since your roommates were exhausted from all the squealing.

Waking up early was a good idea. Not only did you avoid last night's backfire in your common room, but it also gave you some time to prepare for the classes of the day.

First was defense against the dark arts. Then arithmancy. You cringed at the sight of arithmancy, anything mathematics related was not really your forte.

- "Oh, we have arithmancy? Bummer.."

Hearing a voice this close to your ears made you jump. And what was your surprise when you turned to see Weasley.

- "Sorry. I did not mean to scare you." He said in an apologetic tone.

- "Garret? What are you doing here this early? I would not have thought you were an early bird." You observed.

- "Then you need to get to know me! That we could do this afternoon..." He chuckled and whispered "During our super secret mission!"

You shushed him, scared of someone hearing.

- "Not so loud! People could hear us!"

- "Please, it is eight am, nobody is out at this hour! Plus you might want to avoid being so close to me, miss I have a crush on a Gryffindor!" Weasley started laughing.

His remark made you blush from embarrassment. Now you were sure the rumor was gone at least in the Gryffindor house, if not more.

- "I do not have a crush on a Gryffindor! It is your fault if they think that! Why did you have to act like that at dinner? We are not friends to begin with, of course it was suspicious!" You remarked, your ears starting to feel hot.

- "Ouch that hurts! We spoke a couple of times already, doesn't that make us friends?" He said on a hurted tone "Also you may want to calm down, your face is becoming redder than my hair. Even if it is cute in a way, you look like you are about to explode or something of this kind." He added.

You let out a frustrated groan at his shameless comment.

- "A couple of times does not make friends! And leave me alone, it is embarrassing!" You said while walking out.

- "Do not forget our meeting!" He added with a huge smile on his freckled face.

You covered your face with your books to scream as you ran away from the source of your humiliation.