Chapter 5 - The mirror's puzzle

Divination was a topic you enjoyed. It was indeed complicated, but you liked how it helped improve your understanding of things.

Weasley however looked like he would rather have been in potion class. He was staring at the bottom of his cup, browns frowned in an expression mixed between incomprehension and annoyment. You could not help but let out a little giggle, which he picked up almost immediately.

- "Are you making fun of me?" He questioned.

- "It depends... Are you struggling with tessomancy?"

- "I am not struggling! I am thinking!" He argued.

- "Yes, sure Weasley." You smiled.

The ginger boy kept on turning his teacup in every possible direction by the time you already had figured yours. Your tea leaves were making the shape of a broom, which might indicate you will learn to flight in not too long! As you arrived this year you have not tried it yet and were a little worried yet excited.

Professor Onai congratulated you on your findings and invited you to help other students in need. Naturally, you went to Weasley as he was still stuck. It was funny in a way to see him this troubled when other subjects seemed almost too easy for him.

- "Still not struggling?" you looked over his shoulder.

Weasley let out a huff and kept on acting like the situation was under control.

- "It represents an explosion. Must be a habit of yours." you remarked.

- "How do you know?" the boy's eyes widened, finally listening to you.

- "Look, it resembles a mushroom cloud." you traced the shape with your finger in the teacup.

- "I guess it kind of looks like one... But what does it mean?"

- "I do not know, you tell me !" you shrugged.

Weasley squinted his eyes trying to decrypt the future. Another student called for your help on the other side of the classroom, so you left the boy to his divination.

Not too long after the bell rang marking the end of the lesson. Having classes this early in the morning was painful, but the tessomancy had been fun so you were not too irritated. Lenora on the other hand looked like an undead, but she was not going to let Weasley slide before knowing the secret behind the black mirrors. It might have been the only thing keeping her awake at this point.

- "You have to tell me now!" she argued "You promised!"

- "Fine!" Weasley rolled his eyes "Both of you follow me."

You executed yourselves and accompanied Weasley. He went to the closest mirror and casted Lumos. Nothing new for now. But after the picture revealed itself, the boy kept the charm active as he reached the shown location. Upon Garreth's arrival a bronze moth started to fly around his wand.

- "Wow ! What is that ?" observed Lenora.

- "Look!" Weasley walked back to the mirror.

You were too mesmerized to speak. When he put out his spell, the moth placed itself on the mirror, revealing a magic parchment. Both of you Hufflepuffs had shining stars in your eyes by now, and Lenora caught the piece of paper. In front of your surprised looks, Weasley explained himself.

- "The mirror's are a kind of puzzle put together by the administration. Nothing extravagant really. It must be to test student's curiosity and give points to the clever ones."

- "Oh..." you seemed disappointed. You were thinking it was part of a bigger mystery to resolve around school, but now it seemed more like homeworks.

Lenora on the other hand looked interested in the idea. You knew her well enough to be sure you will see her sneaking around school in hopes of getting every last one of these mirrors.

- "The one in the great hall is still not solved." you whispered to her.

She immediately thanked Weasley and stormed through the school which made you giggle a bit. You could be sure your house will have the most points with her on your team.

- "Well..." started Garreth "You own me one now!"

Your eyes widened, you had forgotten that Lenora completely sold you not too long ago! And there you were, happy for her! She would hear about this tonight, she could be sure of it.

- "You really do not miss an occasion, do you!" you glared at Weasley, crossing your arms.

- "A deal is a deal!" He pointed "It is not my fault!"

- "But you said Honeyduke's was the last time!" you tried.

- "If I say 'pretty please'?" he looked at you with puppy eyes.

- "Ok, what do you want?" you grimaced.

- "Oh, nothing much, really. I just need to... kind of sneak in the restricted area of the library, I guess?"

- "No probl-WAIT WHAT?!" you almost jumped back at his demand "Blowing out a store was not enough?!" you added whispering.

- "Come on! It will be quick! In and out! Nobody will notice anything."

You mumbled a little, but for some reason you were unable to refuse anything to this freckled boy. Must be why you were sorted in Hufflepuff to begin with.

- "Fine! But promise me we will be super sneaky." you huffed.

- "More than last time at least!" he laughed.

- "I guess we have to do it at night..." you supposed.

- "See you tonight then!"

And with that Weasley had disappeared in the school's corridors. Maybe Poppy was right and you will end up in trouble from following this mischievous ginger in his foolish plans.