viii

[31 October 1999]

Y/N stared up nervously at Bangchan's large house, music booming in the interior of the house. She fiddled with her hair nervously, the ends temporarily dyed red and blue to match her Harley costume.

She wore a bomber jacket, sparkly crop top, and sparkly shorts, dragging a nailed bat with her. Her makeup was messy, her lipstick smeared on her cheek, and her face painted white. She had a blue star painted below her eyes as well, resting on the top of her cheek.

Y/N went all out for this costume. Was it to impress Jeongin? Well, that was half of it. Y/N approached the front porch of the house, dragging her nailed bat through the battered, unwatered lawn.

She pressed the doorbell, the button lighting at her touch, creating a dinging sound that rippled throughout the house. The door swung open to reveal Bangchan, wearing a wizard hat and cape, a plastic wand adorning his left hand.

"Hey, Y/N! Glad you could make it," Bangchan smiled widely, admiring her costume. "Your Joker is over there." He winked, hiding his smirk as he went to return to the others.

Y/N was glad that Bangchan couldn't see her cheeks flush red at his comment. Y/N scanned her surroundings before she found Jeongin, his beautiful raven locks sprayed with a dark green color. Jeongin wore a striped suit with a purple dress shirt underneath and a green tie. He held a red plastic cup in his hands, silently observing the party while drinking out of it.

Y/N approached him, leaning against her bat as she peered up at him.

"Hey puddin'," Y/N chuckled, using one of the many various nicknames Harley had for Joker. "You look like you're having fun."

"Hey Harl," Jeongin smiled down at Y/N, playing along with her antics. "Glad you could make it. Thought you wouldn't show up."

Y/N rolled her eyes at his remark. "I was busy perfecting this costume, that's all."

"Uh huh," Jeongin remarked sarcastically, drinking a red liquid out of his cup, his eyes focused on the partygoers dancing in their costumes nearby. "They look like they're having fun."

"You want to dance, pretty boy?" Y/N raised her eyebrow at him, observing his body language.

Jeongin's eyes tore away from the couples dancing, his caramel eyes landing on hers, his eyes wide and cheeks flushing at Y/N's sudden term of endearment. He tried to play it off, his round eyes reverting back to their mischievous fox-like ones.

"If you can even dance," Jeongin laughed at Y/N's reaction.

Y/N gently shoved his chest, huffing. "You're so heartless."

The conversation died down as the two comfortably stood near each other, occasionally discussing their surroundings, what they thought of the party, and so on and so forth. Y/N and Jeongin's attention snapped to the living room once they heard Bangchan calling for all the partygoers.

Jeongin gently grabbed Y/N by her arm, leading her to the living room with him. Y/N's heart pounded rapidly against her chest, and she prayed to God that Jeongin couldn't hear it. The two arrived at the living room, looking up at Bangchan, who was standing on the ottoman, holding an empty soju bottle.

"How about we spice up the party and play some spin the bottle?" Bangchan gleamed in triumph at the partygoers' yells and cheers of approval, clearing away the living room to prepare for the game.

A look of dread crossed Y/N's face. She gulped nervously, looking around. She's never had her first kiss, and she certainly didn't want to be stolen by some stranger she has never met and will certainly forget after the party.

A large circle began to form around the carpet of the living room, and the empty bottle was set in the middle. Y/N sat next to Jeongin, her eyes glued to the carpet. How could she even look Jeongin in the eyes right now?

Y/N watched as the rounds passed, a few members of the party giving each other awkward pecks, or just simply making out. It overwhelmed Y/N to think that would happen to her soon.

Soon, but not now.

Interestingly enough, it was Minho's turn, the school heartthrob. It landed on a random girl that Y/N didn't recognize, and Minho wasn't afraid to give her more than just a peck on the lips, with supportive cheers and whoops emerging from his friend group.

Once the kiss had separated, it was a few others' turns, until it was finally Y/N's. Y/N stared down at the green translucent bottle, her fingers shaking as she was able to firmly grasp it and spin it counterclockwise.

Her heart dropped as the bottle slowed and pointed to the person next to her.

Yang Jeongin.

Jeongin's mouth hung agape, and a chorus of cheers and yells of encouragement echoed throughout the living room, mainly from Y/N and Jeongin's friends. Did they suggest this game on purpose so this would happen?

Y/N looked at Jeongin, nervousness written all over her face. She took a deep breath and exhaled, looking down at her lap, before leaning in towards Jeongin to close the gap between them, his breath fanning against her cheek as she gently pressed her lips against Jeongin's soft ones.

Jeongin froze against Y/N's sudden movement, unsure of how to react. He remained frozen as Y/N kissed his soft plump lips.

After realizing what she was doing, Y/N quickly separated from the kiss looking down at her lap, her face red with embarrassment. Jisung was screaming in excitement, his reaction rather overexaggerated.

Jeongin still looked dazed, unable to comprehend what had just happened. He looked away from Y/N, clearing his throat, too shy to look at her after what they had both just shared.

Y/N's heart was soaring through the clouds. She can't believe it. She just kissed her crush, Yang Jeongin.

Her first kiss was from Yang Jeongin.

The game ended after several more rounds, and Y/N was thankful she wouldn't have to awkwardly peck a stranger on the cheek anymore.

The party was nearing a close as Bangchan prepared the fireworks he bought for the party. Y/N sat on the curb of the driveway to Bangchan's house, waiting for the fireworks to begin as she looked up at the midnight sky, painted with ebony and violet shades as it was late in the night.

"Hey," A familiar voice greeted Y/N, sitting next to her. Jeongin offered her bat that she abandoned in the house to her. "You left this inside."

"Oh," Y/N turned to look at Jeongin, grabbing her bat. "Thanks."

The air was thick with awkward tension. They remained silent, unsure of what to say to one another.

"Look, about that kiss," Jeongin began before he was quickly interrupted by Y/N.

"Just forget about it, Jeongin. It shouldn't mean anything to you, we're just friends." Y/N bit back a pool of tears forming in her eyes.

"No, Y/N, you don't understand," Jeongin attempted once more.

"What don't I understand? You don't like me in that way! We were just forced to kiss because of a stupid game," Y/N continued to ramble, running her hands through her hair, tears falling and pooling at her chin as she tried to bite back more tears.

"Y/N, listen!" Jeongin raised his voice, using a hand to grab Y/N's, and he used his other free hand to turn Y/N's chin to face him.

"I like you, Y/N," Jeongin's face flushed red as he suddenly confessed to her. "I like you a lot. But I want to get to know you more, on a deeper level. I want to know your interests beyond filmmaking, there is so much more of you I know I haven't seen yet," Jeongin took a deep breath before continuing.

"I want to take my time in loving you, L/N Y/N." Jeongin confessed bluntly.

"What? Jeongin, I... I don't understand," Y/N stuttered as Jeongin's caramel eyes focused on hers.

"Let me be your first love."

[End of VHS tape