payback

it was almost midday when i woke up from sleeping. my mom was looking at me with gentle eyes. "good morning"she said i returned the greeting then rolled up the sleeping mat I was on "do you want something to eat?" i shook my head no and thanked mom for the offer. i walked out of the mauri and dove into the water right in front of me. i took in the sights of the ocean all of the reefs. i wanted to gather materials for a new arm band. i wanted to make one to better embrace my surroundings when i saw kiri laying looking at the sand. she looked like she was at peace, but as i was about to turn a group of metkayina boys started harassing her. i made my way over as fast as i could when i heard lo'ak yell "hey!back off fish lips!" they then turned to lo'ak calling him a freak when i yelled louder then my brother "HEY!" they all froze and looked at me "don't mess with my sister, you mess with her, you mess with me." "What are you gonna do, forest girl" ao'nung  stopped his friend when neteyam came over. "Back off, now" neteyam said backing me up. "And from now on, I need you to respect my sisters."neteyam demanded. Ao'nungs friends hissed at us and i hissed back showing more teeth and pinning my ears back and not letting them go. Kiri stuck her tongue out showing she didn't care about their feelings or opinions. Motioned to neteyam let's get out of here and we all turned to leave. "Look at them, they're all freaks the whole family" lo'ak went back over to the metkayina boys but i was out of ear shot and couldn't hear what they where saying but the next thing I knew Lo'ak had punched ao'nung and a whole fight broke out. Neteyam looked at me "don't even think about it" neteyam joined the fight anyway and things got ugly. "Well, why not" i whispered and jumped in knocking out two of the boys by hitting their heads together. One of them grabbed my hair but then I elbowed them in the stomach. "CRAZY FOREST BITCH!" One of them yelled and that just set me off, I ran full speed at the boy pinning him down kneeing him in the stomach making his nose bleed even getting him to bleed from the mouth. Next thing I knew I was getting pulled off of his unconscious body by my father.

I was getting dragged back to our mauri then dad spoke after making sure there was nobody listening. "What was the one thing I asked. The one thing." "Stay out of trouble" neteyam and lo'ak said while I just looked at him wiping blood off of my nose and hands. "Stay out of trouble! Right" dad yelled " sir it was my fault." "No I don't think so you gotta stop takin the heat for this knucklehead." Dad said through his teeth after neteyam finished talking. "Dad ao'nung was picking on kiri, he called her a freak" dad paused looking hurt. "Go apologize to ao'nung"I zoned out and didn't hear the last things that were said. I was busy being focused on a sound. It sounded almost like a heart beating.

I snapped out of my day dream when dad started shaking my shoulder with one hand aggressively "what the hell where you thinking!" dad yelled at me. " I was defending your daughter my twin , myself, my brothers. The ones you don't want to defend yourself. The ones who you make apologize for defending themselves." "Watch your mouth" dad said in a low tone "you need to go apologize to them as well." I sat there wiping my nose that was still bleeding staring at my dad in the eyes. "No." I said. Dad looked at me with a look on his face that said what the hell did you just say to me. "He is tonowari's son." "And, I'm Toruk makto's daughter. That doesn't give me the right to act shitty" dad looked at me with a face that said all I needed to know. He knew I had a valid point and he kneeled next to me and held pinched my nose to help it stop bleeding.

After it stopped bleeding and I got my injuries patched up I went to find kiri, just to make sure she was okay. "Kiri!" I yelled when I saw her. "Y/n!" She yelled back in excitement. We embraced one another "thank you. For you know, beating them up" "of course kiri I would do anything for you" we walked back to the mauri both in a sour mood after what just happened. We walked into the mauri hand in hand and sat down in front of our mom who was cooking and we started to wrap some of the food so mom could cook it. Kiri wore a darker expression then I did and that led mom to suspect something "what is wrong?" She asked in a suspicious tone. "Nothing, I'm fine why should I not be fine?" Kiri responded as she slammed down one of wraps. Kiri looked at me with sad eyes and I looked at her with the same expression. "Why can't we be just like..." kiri had trouble finding the words "everyone else?" I said as mom looked at me and kiri nodded. "Oh,kiri" mom said as she tucked kiri's hair behind her ear and kiri pulled away.then mom took hold of my hand giving it a comforting squeeze. Mom looked at us both. I stood up letting her hand fall out of mine gently. I'm going to fly with Nara, I'll be back later. I grabbed my flight visors and my bow with my arrows. Mom looked at me with sad eyes.

I made an Ikran call and made the bond with Nara. I set flight and many metkayina made calls at me thag I returned. My life was changing and I couldn't keep up with it. I had been here for a month and a half now but I couldn't keep up with all the new ways that was being forced down my throat. I felt like a soldier that had to keep marching on, it felt like my war with myself was never done. I felt like I would never be free again. I just wanted to be back at home, war or no war. I wanted to be back where I could feel the grass on my feet, where we would sing together in groups about na'vi stories where we would all feast together, where we would go on hunts, where I could defend my home. The reef people were nice at times bur I just wish I could be back where everything was how it was. Where I could help grandmother with healing,where I could see ma in her tank where I could fly Nara in formation with all of the other kids. It wasn't fair that we had to be away but when is life fair. I was just enjoying the free feeling when I saw a sky people ship. It looked different then most. It could fly and float in the water. I was going to leave it alone when they started attacking a sea creature. I sprang into action grabbing my bow and aiming at one of the boats that had drove off of the bigger ship. "Na'vi!!!" One of them yelled and I had just loosened an arrow and it hit one of the sky people straight in the head. I went into a nose dive and shot another arrow. One of them tried to shoot me but I dodged and shot an arrow in his chest. I jumped off of Nara and landed on the demon ship. I drew my knife and went around stabbing them. "Duck!" A sky person said trying to shoot at me but I hid behind a crate and readied my bow and shot another one. "GET HER OFF MY SHIP" a sky person yelled. I started going around faster pulling my arrows from dead bodies. Once I got the last of them I killed anyone blocking my way to Nara. Once I reached her I made the bond and flew off. I felt proud as I flew off. I saved sea creatures, maybe eywa wanted me to help this land as well. Whatever it was I knew that I had saved them. And that felt good, really good.